Saudis vs Canadians...?

Started by bayonetbrant, August 07, 2018, 08:37:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Sounds like a category four hissy fit.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Gusington

I can't wait to see what Trump tweets about this. I will probably be waiting a really long time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

At the risk of losing friends here, I second what SDR said. I have no love for the Saudis but Canada under Trudeau has turned a blind eye to practically everything done by ISIS, Iran, Venezuela, Cuba, Nicaragua, on and on and on. But when Saudis threaten a Canadian citizen, or the wife of a Canadian citizen, THAT gets their condemnation alright. Trudeau should stand-up for his citizens along with everybody else threatened by Tyrants anywhere as we all should. Be consistent or be quiet. My 2 cents.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on August 08, 2018, 01:12:29 PM
TR, am I correct in that the biggest thing holding back electric vehicles is not being able to charge them wireless while driving.

Not sure why they haven't addressed this issue in part through solar energy?

Gameleaper could have explained that to you.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Pete Dero

Quote from: bbmike on August 09, 2018, 06:51:13 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 08, 2018, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: OJsDad on August 08, 2018, 01:12:29 PM
TR, am I correct in that the biggest thing holding back electric vehicles is not being able to charge them wireless while driving.

Not sure why they haven't addressed this issue in part through solar energy?

Gameleaper could have explained that to you.  :-"

A typical solar installation residential is about 5 kilowatts and is based on the nominal output of the individual solar panels.

A small car uses an AC motor that pulls 43KW peak, 14KW continuous from your electric car's batteries.
A large car uses an AC motor which pulls 78KW peak, 34KW continuous.   

E.g. the Nissan LEAF had an 80kW motor.

I guess this means even a residential installation can't provide the energy for an electric car and why participants of the Solar Race look like this :

The solution will be batteries with higher capacity and fast reloading times.

bayonetbrant

and that's waaaaaaaaay off-topic from where our usual diplomatic row is
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pete Dero

https://www.thedailybeast.com/40-dead-many-of-them-children-after-saudi-attack-in-yemen?ref=home

Dozens of Yemeni civilians, most of them children, were killed Thursday when an airstrike by U.S.-backed Saudi Arabian fores hit a bus in the rebel-held city of Dahyan, according to sources from the International Red Cross cited by The Guardian.

More than 10,000 people have been killed during the three-year conflict, which has left millions of Yemenis on the brink of starvation as Saudi forces have imposed a strict blockade on key ports for food.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 09, 2018, 11:16:09 AM
https://www.thedailybeast.com/40-dead-many-of-them-children-after-saudi-attack-in-yemen?ref=home

Dozens of Yemeni civilians, most of them children, were killed Thursday when an airstrike by U.S.-backed Saudi Arabian fores hit a bus in the rebel-held city of Dahyan, according to sources from the International Red Cross cited by The Guardian.

More than 10,000 people have been killed during the three-year conflict, which has left millions of Yemenis on the brink of starvation as Saudi forces have imposed a strict blockade on key ports for food.

You no doubt prefer to support the Houthi rebels who are backed by Iran and Hezbollah, and who launch missiles into the middle of Saudi cities. I didn't see you posting anything about that.

Whatever it takes for you to be critical of the US and Trump.  O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

The Saudi's ordered all students studying in Canada to return home.  The Saudi's have a big government program to pay for college abroad.

The Saudi's also banned grain imports from Canada.  This has a trivial impact, except for barley.  The Saudi's buy 7% of Canadian barley exports.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2018, 12:18:02 PM

You no doubt prefer to support the Houthi rebels who are backed by Iran and Hezbollah, and who launch missiles into the middle of Saudi cities. I didn't see you posting anything about that.

Most countries in the region are not OK but claiming Iran is the enemy and ignoring all the Saudis are doing (e.g. funding Salafism in Europe) is not correct.

I don't support any rebel group but the 3 million who are starving can't all be rebels and still the Saudis block all foreign aid.

MikeGER

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 09, 2018, 08:14:33 AM
The solution will be batteries with higher capacity and fast reloading times.

there is already a chemical battery with high capacity and good energy per kg ratio and ultra fast reloading times
the battery is called "fuel" and the reloading is called "filling up"  ;D

you only have to produce the fuel with solar energy and with CO2 taken out of the atmosphere
ethanol from plants/bacteria for example
but i would not be astonished if there is already a 'reactor' invented which can transforms CO2 gas and water directly into ethanol given enuf electrical energy and some rare special catalysts materials  ...problem is such a droplet of fuel costs way to much atm

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on August 09, 2018, 12:39:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 09, 2018, 12:18:02 PM

Most countries in the region are not OK but claiming Iran is the enemy and ignoring all the Saudis are doing (e.g. funding Salafism in Europe) is not correct.

I don't support any rebel group but the 3 million who are starving can't all be rebels and still the Saudis block all foreign aid.

I don't ignore the Saudis and I have always found the close US diplomatic relationship with the Kingdom of Saud troubling. Still, you always find a way to make it seem as if the US (or at least Donald Trump) is responsible for all of the world's ills. Just give it a rest. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Windigo

The biggest impact will be in our health care. The Saudis send hundreds of people to Canada to train up as doctors. So with this move, our system will lose a fair number of interns and resident doctors (who practice medicine under supervision until they become full blown doctors).
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Windigo

Another one on the plus side is that all the eco-loons will lose face as they opposed the pipeline that would take oil from western Canada to refineries in the east.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.