My Life Sucks - Not Really

Started by airboy, July 12, 2018, 05:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailrunner

I've had a string of less-than-good luck lately with repairs and stuff.  Funny how a small leak in my bathroom can cause over $3k in damage.  Funny how a tiny little rock can crack a windshield.  Funny how five days of torrential rain can cause a tree to fall over (yeah, happened to me in March, too, but who's keeping score?).  Funny how a tiny bit of bacteria can put a hole in my tooth.  Meanwhile, I've been doing the job of two people lately and have been completely overwhelmed, but it looks like we're going to hire someone soon, so that's some positive news.  Yeah!   :bd:   :clap:

Con

Except the only resume submitted is for one John Wayne Gacey in clown makeup

trailrunner

Quote from: Con on August 01, 2018, 07:13:57 PM

I'd hire him and assign him to the programs that have given me the most trouble.

OJsDad

Quote from: trailrunner on August 01, 2018, 07:29:56 PM
Quote from: Con on August 01, 2018, 07:13:57 PM

I'd hire him and assign him to the programs that have given me the most trouble.

So, 99% of your work.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Quote from: airboy on July 13, 2018, 10:06:06 AM
I also resigned myself years ago to having a wife with better spacial perception than I have and thus better ability to put "assembly required" stuff together.  She also fixes the toilets.  One of my brothers makes stuff for fun (restores old vehicles, does woodworking, fixes everything, and restore/repair almost anything & has designed and built Tiffany lamps).  I don't have that skill set.

I'm not especially handy myself and to make matters worse....my wife's grandfather was a master carpenter who built his home and cabinetry with his own hands and her family is very mechanical in general. End result is my wife will take tools away from me, making little sounds of disgust as she does so  ::)

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Sir Slash

I'm so bad it's illegal in 5 states for me to be in possession of a hammer and nails.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

One of my proudest adult moments was fixing a toilet of ours a few years ago and thus avoiding a 150.00 plumbing bill. I also painted the interior of my whole house myself. So on a scale of handy I rate myself a 4 out of 10. I'm definitely not doing any carpentry or adding wings on to my house, but give me 10 hours and I should be able to install a garage door opener. Ok maybe 11 hours.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

You can install a garage door opener?  I once changed a tire, does that count for anything? :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Barthheart

Nothing personal to you guys but how do you grow up not being handy? Were your father's not handy as well? Did you never experiment by taking things apart to see how they worked and then put them back together again?

Being handy and all my friends being handy I just never got how any guy could not be....

bbmike

Yeah, plus being good at doing stuff yourself can save you a ton of money.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

My grandfather and uncle were/are handy but screwed up more than they fix. My dad is a story for another day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Yeah, but you learn a ton by screwing stuff up... like the most efficient ways to take apart and reassemble things!

Windigo

I hated helping my dad do handy things... he was not a good teacher, nor motivator. I moved out and couldn't afford to buy new things so I fixed what I could (back then it was the library and books on how to fix things).My first big win (hah) was fixing an old electric kettle/coffee pot. My best win was putting a 340 into my 76 Duster that originally had a slant-6 in it.

Learned to frame house and small structures because it paid the bills and put me through university. If I could afford it, I'd have more power tools than BC has board games, my latest acquisition is a belt sander.... by all that is holy those things are a dangerous time saver for large sanding projects. I prepped my fence for painting in 2 hours.... 2 hours!!!  I say dangerous, because they'll take the jean material and skin off your leg real quick if you're stupid. (no not me, my brother).

In this time of you tube videos you can learn to do damn near anything handy. You can do eeeet.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Gusington

I cleared out my septic pipe on Memorial Day with one of those heavy duty snakes...does that count? It was quite gnarly.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd