Which Grogs are in Scotland?

Started by bayonetbrant, May 30, 2018, 07:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hofstadter

There's a Scottish guy in the 160th

There are few things that give me more joy than when he yells OH FER F_;@+! SEHK when I teamkill him
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on June 06, 2018, 10:44:40 PM
I was about to totally roll in on you JD, until I realized I've never read a complete and total accounting of the U.S. revolutionary war.

You get a reluctant pass.
lol - I have even read a couple of books on the Civil War...I've just never been drawn towards British or Scottish history much. Perhaps because there's so much history and I'd never be able to read it all  ;D
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I've got a history of Scotland on my Kindle - but this bugger literally does the HISTORY of Scotland. I mean, he goes back to the bloody formation of the planet, of the British Isles, glacierization/formation of mountains, migration of people across Doggerland, and on and on. It took me forever just to get to the 1200s. Admittedly I haven't read it since my last flight to Glasgow more than a year ago.  :-\

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 07, 2018, 09:17:50 AMAdmittedly I haven't read it since my last flight to Glasgow more than a year ago.  :-\

I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that you've left something unfinished!

(says the guy that's had Orange Crush on the drawing board for over 10 years now)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Which book is that BC? 'cos my sister got me a book once and I started reading it and it was exactly as you described and really very boring for it. Also the section on William Wallace wasn't even a chapter yet it was very detailed on religion, Picts etc. Not even much on the Romans iirc.

Very boring book and did not get finished.

Being shamed into it, I'm now scouring Amazon Kindle for a decent book on Scottish history. I may focus on the particular time period I'm interested in - circa 1200s and beyond.
Alba gu' brath

bob48

Brant, If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were getting at poor 'ol BC.

This is a damn good read and includes a lot of stuff on Scottish history, albeit a fairly specific time period.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Civil-War-Three-Kingdoms-1638-1660/dp/0349115648/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528382192&sr=8-1&keywords=civil+war+the+war+of+3+kingdoms
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

I'm assuming I jumped into where you were pointing at  ;D
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 07, 2018, 09:33:06 AM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 07, 2018, 09:17:50 AMAdmittedly I haven't read it since my last flight to Glasgow more than a year ago.  :-\

I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that you've left something unfinished!

I'm shocked you're being snarky about something.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 07, 2018, 09:36:08 AM
I'm shocked you're being snarky about something.

fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly...  but I didn't try to tie it back to O*****s now, did I? :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2018, 09:34:27 AM
Which book is that BC? 'cos my sister got me a book once and I started reading it and it was exactly as you described and really very boring for it. Also the section on William Wallace wasn't even a chapter yet it was very detailed on religion, Picts etc. Not even much on the Romans iirc.

Wish I could recall, JD. Tried to look it up through my Amazon account but cannot locate it. Next time I'm on my Paperwhite (probably later tonight), I'll check and see. None of the history of Scotland books are ringing a bell in a Kindle search.

It's fairly dry reading, but in its own way somewhat interesting. I really did not expect him to start millions of years ago. But yeah, me not going back to it speaks volumes as to how interesting it was, ultimately.

I think I got to the portion about William Wallace and found it unimpressive. That's about where I left off. Probably the same book.

bbmike

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 07, 2018, 11:33:51 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 07, 2018, 09:34:27 AM

Wish I could recall, JD. Tried to look it up through my Amazon account but cannot locate it. Next time I'm on my Paperwhite (probably later tonight), I'll check and see. None of the history of Scotland books are ringing a bell in a Kindle search.

It's fairly dry reading, but in its own way somewhat interesting. I really did not expect him to start millions of years ago. But yeah, me not going back to it speaks volumes as to how interesting it was, ultimately.

I think I got to the portion about William Wallace and found it unimpressive. That's about where I left off. Probably the same book.

Must be one of those books from the Islay regions.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

The Tranter Bruce Trilogy is pretty good.  Why not just start there?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath