Strategic Command Classic competition

Started by Boggit, May 08, 2018, 03:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 13, 2018, 10:05:48 PM
How are we going to choose smaller missions and sides?
Good question.

At the moment I'm inclined for everyone to play the largest scenario first, then winding down through the smaller scenarios towards the final. That way everyone gets over their learning curve early on, and as the competition progresses the scenarios become more intense as the leeway on making mistakes gets progressively smaller. Of course, I'm open to suggestions, particularly where it reflects the consensus of the competitors.

I also think we should be starting on the 1st June for a couple of reasons...
1) Some of you have asked about having a bit of time to get to know the game before starting; and
2) One of you is away on vacation late May and really is keen to be in the competition

All in all, we are talking of 13 days till the start. Given the points already raised, it seems reasonable to me to cut some slack on the start. In any event, we may yet have a couple more competitors - as it stands we have... in no particular order

Millipede
Cyrano
Ethel the Frog
JasonPratt
Yskonyn
Shelldrake
Iudi1867
Nelmsm

So to resume my answer to you as to sides - either:
1) Pick an opponent and side as between yourselves, then the winner assume the other side in the next round; or
2) We can split the starting number of players into an Axis side and an Allied side and play off between the two sides with a nominated opponent

I can see a potential problem with 1) if all the winners are on the Axis/Allied side, but we can handle for the second round arbitrarily if that happens.

At present I'm tempted to go for option 2) and give y'all an opponent >:D, but it doesn't have to be if you guys prefer 1). If anyone has a better mousetrap sing out, as we have time to settle these issues now before the start date.

And I have 2 more Steam codes if anyone else wants to join in.   O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Note: Avast has flagged the executable for Patton Drives East, and put it in the special hell or something. I'm reverifying the file from Steam and trying again. (It loaded fine, Avast just did this after I quit to go look at scenarios in the Pacific.)

QuoteAt the moment I'm inclined for everyone to play the largest scenario first, then winding down through the smaller scenarios towards the final.

What are the relative scenario sizes, in order? Are any balanced, or any unbalanced? The descriptions are quite unclear so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Avast still hates Patton driving east.  :P Restarting again.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Millipede

Quote from: Boggit on May 16, 2018, 07:38:34 PM

So to resume my answer to you as to sides - either:
1) Pick an opponent and side as between yourselves, then the winner assume the other side in the next round; or
2) We can split the starting number of players into an Axis side and an Allied side and play off between the two sides with a nominated opponent

I don't have any better ideas and I don't have a strong preference but I do lean slightly towards option 2.

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 16, 2018, 08:04:42 PM
Note: Avast has flagged the executable for Patton Drives East, and put it in the special hell or something. I'm reverifying the file from Steam and trying again. (It loaded fine, Avast just did this after I quit to go look at scenarios in the Pacific.)

QuoteAt the moment I'm inclined for everyone to play the largest scenario first, then winding down through the smaller scenarios towards the final.

What are the relative scenario sizes, in order? Are any balanced, or any unbalanced? The descriptions are quite unclear so far.
To be fair, I'm not holding myself out as an expert on the game. I've played a lot of the WW1 game, and some SCWW2 and have found scenarios reasonably balanced as a single player game. There is a grand campaign game, and shorter variants based on the start date.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Yeah, but I'm assuming we aren't talking about shorter grand campaigns based on start date. We're talking about the scenarios (which show up as a slightly different color of yellow in the lists. ;) )

I guess I'll have to look into that.

Meanwhile, despite all my efforts last night, including giving the executable an exclusion from within Avast at least twice(!), Avast still hates the Patton Drives East executable and randomly warns me about it asking what I should do. At least Avast isn't automatically dumping it into the virus chest anymore! I've never seen Avast go so psycho-girlfriend about something Avast itself calls a generic threat. I'm starting to wonder if there's fire with that smoke...

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 17, 2018, 07:11:32 AM
Yeah, but I'm assuming we aren't talking about shorter grand campaigns based on start date. We're talking about the scenarios (which show up as a slightly different color of yellow in the lists. ;) )

I guess I'll have to look into that.

Meanwhile, despite all my efforts last night, including giving the executable an exclusion from within Avast at least twice(!), Avast still hates the Patton Drives East executable and randomly warns me about it asking what I should do. At least Avast isn't automatically dumping it into the virus chest anymore! I've never seen Avast go so psycho-girlfriend about something Avast itself calls a generic threat. I'm starting to wonder if there's fire with that smoke...
If it is of any comfort, I get a lot of stupid crap from Norton 360's over aggressive heuristic checks with perfectly legitimate games. Best thing is to go into security and give a pass/approve to the game knowing that it is from a perfectly legitimate source and the internet protection software is going through a psychotic episode.

Let me have another look at the game and I'll come back to you with the details on the games to be played out in each round.

Boggit

Here is a suggestion for the scenarios and the order they are played. I'm open to ideas, so if you hate the line up then suggest something better before we get fixed for the competition start....

Based on the 8 players we have already we can either do a sudden death with losers dropping out after a round, or everyone plays all three rounds getting a point for each victory level above a draw, or losing a point for each level of loss with the winner on the highest total. In the event of a tie we can do a sudden death round 4.

Round 1
Weapons and Warfare - 1941-45 Battle for Russia

Axis
Millipede
Cyrano
Ethel the Frog
JasonPratt

Soviet
Yskonyn
Shelldrake
Iudi1867
Nelmsm

Round 2
Patton Drives East - Stalin Drives West

Soviet
Millipede
Cyrano
Ethel the Frog
JasonPratt

Allies
Yskonyn
Shelldrake
Iudi1867
Nelmsm

Round 3
Pacific Theater - 1944-45 Philippines

Allies
Millipede
Cyrano
Shelldrake
Nelmsm

Imperial Japan
Yskonyn
Ethel the Frog
JasonPratt
Iudi1867

Let me know your views.  :)

Boggit

And just to remind everyone not yet signed up - I still have 2 Steam codes left. There is room for more!

nelmsm

I like the idea of everyone playing all rounds and getting points for victory levels

JasonPratt

Despite an update to the beta (these are beta codes, btw), and an update to Avast, Avast actually hates this game even more if that was possible.  :buck2:

Someone else may have to study the scenarios to figure out turns and relative force compositions for balance.

Millipede

Quote from: nelmsm on May 18, 2018, 10:39:07 PM
I like the idea of everyone playing all rounds and getting points for victory levels

Same here

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Boggit

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 19, 2018, 05:39:23 AM
Quote from: Millipede on May 19, 2018, 12:08:51 AM
Quote from: nelmsm on May 18, 2018, 10:39:07 PM

Same here

+1
3/8 declaring in favour.

If we see no surge against this from the rest over the next couple of days, this is what we'll do. O0

JasonPratt

I might agree with it, but I don't know what it means.  ??? Am I supposed to play Round 1 against everyone from the Soviet side? (And the whole five year Soviet campaign four times, once against each Soviet player? That's going to take a while, even for one match!)