Spoiler discussion of Infinity War.

Started by Centurion40, April 28, 2018, 08:15:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

Capn Darwin

Just can't help yourself, can you...  >:D >:D >:D
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Centurion40

So, Captain Marvel is going to set the Universe right, eh?

I wonder if next season's Agents of Shield is going to operate in a Universe with half of life suddenly gone?

Centurion40

Quote from: Capn Darwin on April 28, 2018, 08:17:02 AM
Just can't help yourself, can you...  >:D >:D >:D

Fairly warned be thee, says I.  :arr:

Capn Darwin

Saw it Thursday night with the Fam.  It was awesome. Want to see it again to pick up on all the subtle stuff I missed.

Centurion40

I honestly didn't think that Thanos would win. So obviously the next movie will involve time shinanagans to set things right. Or there won't be another Black Panther, Guardians. Spider Man, etc. Movie.

Sir Slash

The Marvel's Agents of Shield show last night referenced, 'the things going on in New York'. Don't know if that's the space ship's arrival or what but I'm sure they'll work in some connection. The ending caught me totally by surprise too but makes sense when you think about it being a two part story. Dr. Strange's comment to Tony Stark about 'this being the only way' leads me to think Ironman will be the one to take-out Thanos in next film somehow and meet his heroic end. I'm not sure about his 'dream' about Potts having a baby though... could Capt. Marvel be Tony and Pepper's child somehow conceived through the Time Stone alternate-time loop thing back in the 90's to save the Universe?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Centurion40

Centurion40

I thought that the comment about NYC referred to Doc, Tony and Spidey's tussle with 2 of Thanos' kids.

Capn Darwin

Just to hurt your heads:

Soul stone has Gamora's soul in it, hence the scene of her talking as a child to Thanos in the waters of the planet. Bet she will mess with him from within.

With the reality stone, any number of realities may exist with random versions of the Avengers in it. Just need a way to open portals and unite the team.

Or we are seeing altered reality from Thanos "killing off" half the population and it's not all true.

Avengers 4 starts with Stark in the shower and it's all a dream... <:-)

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

I havent seen the movie yet, read this thread or this article, but figured there may be spoilers.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ae201e5e4b04aa23f20d4a5/amp
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JasonPratt

My cleverly non-spoilerish review now posted in the other thread here: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=20019.msg609901#msg609901

My spoilery-er comments can now begin.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

But not immediately for the sake of OJD.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

1.) I'll be curious to see some thorough compilation of trailer shots that lied to the audience. Of the two examples that come to mind, the Hulk fighting in Wakanda seems the most important. Perhaps that's meant for Av4?

2.) Whichever reviewers were complaining about "fridging" women in this movie, needs to go look up what that trope means. No female character was randomly killed off to shock their male lover into a revenge-based plot. Gamora's death, while pulled somewhat out of plot-nowhere (along with the soul-stone plot), was not fridging: it served its own dramatic functions, and rather important ones. Loki might count as fridging? (I'll be sad to see him gone from the MCU, but I suspect his death really is permanent this time. When it didn't have to be, at all. More on that later perhaps.) Did any other female characters die before the final result? (Not many did then! -- just Scarlet Witch so far as I recall.)

3.) I was a little surprised that all the original Avengers survived. I assume Clint/Hawkeye is being held in reserve as a guest for the Ant-Man film and maybe Av4.

4.) Also a tad surprised that Cap's shield didn't return. I mean, conceptually I suppose I'm not surprised, but there was less than no reason for it to be in the movie. Cap's in Wakanda for the whole second half, where the material for his shield comes from, and T'Challa actually says, "SOMEONE GET THIS MAN A SHIELD!" There have been two years since the end of Civil War (the film makes this clear several times), and they've had plenty of time to make him a new one (assuming no one is going to give him the old one back). But no.

5.) Was there an homage to the Superman/Batman arc from a few years ago (...now kaput thanks to the Nu52, I think...), eventually produced as an animated film, where Batman delays Darkseid by punching him somewhat uselessly with gauntlet blades? Maybe that was a coincidence.

6.) I supposssssssse I understand the plot necessity of nerfing (or in story-trope terms "Worfing") the Hulk so hard, but it doesn't make any real sense in-universe.

7.) Loki got rather badly nerfed, too, for equally no good reason in-story. I don't even understand why Heimdall was the one to teleport Banner back to Earth (and specifically to Doctor Strange). I don't even understand how Heimdall did that. This feels like a very late plot alteration, since otherwise Heimdall might die without contributing anything (like most of Thor's other friends in T3!) Whereas if Loki was willing to tesser Banner back to Strange's sanctum (which makes some plot-connection sense in a few ways), then the question would be raised WHY HE DOESN'T USE THE TESSERACT AGAINST THANOS AT ALL! Or save his brother with the tesseract. This is the first time in the film the plot would have been derailed by people acting with more sense. And while generally the opposing sides don't duel each other at acting dumb for plot convenience sake, neither is it the last.

8.) Despite Hulk being unreasonably nerfed and sidelined, I did appreciate Banner getting to contribute a little more the plot, as himself, this time. Some decent lemonade was made from that plot-lemon.

I'm sure I'll have more to comment about later, but I'm tired now.