Asian-Americans Suing Harvard For Discrimination

Started by Nefaro, April 11, 2018, 06:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Sounds like they are pretty confident about it, too.   :o

Asian-Americans suing Harvard say admissions files show discrimination
The plaintiffs are arguing for the release of tens of thousands of admissions documents in the case.

A group that is suing Harvard University is demanding that it publicly release admissions data on hundreds of thousands of applicants, saying the records show a pattern of discrimination against Asian-Americans going back decades.

The group was able to view the documents through its lawsuit, which was filed in 2014 and challenges Harvard's admissions policies. The plaintiffs said in a letter to the court last week that the documents were so compelling that there was no need for a trial, and that they would ask the judge to rule summarily in their favor based on the documents alone.

The plaintiffs also say that the public — which provides more than half a billion dollars a year in federal funding to Harvard — has a right to see the evidence that the judge will consider in her decision.

Harvard counters that the documents are tantamount to trade secrets, and that even in the unlikely event that the judge agrees to decide the case without a trial, she is likely to use only a fraction of the evidence in her decision. Only that portion, the university says, should be released.

<snip>

They contend in their lawsuit that Harvard systematically and unconstitutionally discriminates against Asian-American applicants by penalizing their high achievement as a group, while giving preferences to other racial and ethnic minorities. They say that Harvard's admission process amounts to an illegal quota system.
<...>

(continued..)

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2018/04/05/asian-americans-suing-harvard-say-admissions-files-show-discrimination

Sir Slash

I think they were upset by Harvard's denial statement ending with, "Yu Kno Fuk Wee. Wee Fuk Yu".  #:-)   And sending it out in a Fortune Cookie. Which is very poor taste. The statement not the cookie I mean.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Jesus Christ.

Is it not the epitome of irony when one group says an institution is racist for not admitting more of their group into it?

"Make exceptions for OUR race/class/ethnicity." Yeah, that's not biased thinking at all. Harvard has had declining admissions over the last many years, so things are of course going to get a lot more competitive. Stands to reason that if close to 40,000 people apply and only 2,000 are admitted, there's going to be people disappointed, for God's sake.

Plus there's Harvard's admissions statistics. Asian Americans are the highest percentage of admitted students for the Class of 2021 listed on the following page, so unless these accusations are true, they sound like utter sour grapes.

https://college.harvard.edu/admissions/admissions-statistics

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 11, 2018, 10:34:31 PM
I think they were upset by Harvard's denial statement ending with, "Yu Kno Fuk Wee. Wee Fuk Yu".  #:-)   And sending it out in a Fortune Cookie. Which is very poor taste. The statement not the cookie I mean.

And damn, SS. That's Germanic levels of commentary bad taste, there. ;D

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Germanic levels of bad taste commentary are my speciality. I've just been holding back for you guys. If anyone's offended by my sophomore attempt at humor, I am sorry. But I graduate to Junior Class next month so enjoy this while you can.  :coolsmiley: As for Harvard discriminating against Asian-Americans, they should have all claimed to be Native Americans and then they would've been OK.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.