Shooter at Youtube HQ

Started by steve58, April 03, 2018, 03:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 04, 2018, 09:28:52 AM
I am curious how she got into the building in the first place. Most companies (esp. tech) have pretty good badge or biometric (or both) based security.

The story said she approached the building by way of an outside patio, where employees were having lunch, and opened fire.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that this is just yet another social media narcissist that can't take criticism or unfollows or whatever and is taking it out on YT. Like I said, I know YT is very selective about how it chooses to enforce its rules, but from what some stories have said of her channel and content, she sounds like she was something of a rambling dullard. Who knows.

Nefaro

A militant animal rights activist YouTuber snapped and took it out on some YT employees after getting her channel demonetized.

I'll go out on a limb and say it was an inevitability.  Judging by how quickly her family members realized she was probably going to go postal, after she went missing for a short time, and they notified authorities of that belief.    :(

The hyperactive blame-rage environment, which has been increasingly popularized in American media & politics, is doing no favors for the mentally ill or those on whom they lay blame and target.  Dividends of the victimhood olympics.

bayonetbrant

Sounds like she was nuts, but let's make sure that we keep the blame squarely where it belongs: with the shooter.

No one at YouTube deserves a bullet just because the company sucks at consistent policy enforcement.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DoctorQuest

Any news on where she got the weapon?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 04, 2018, 10:54:54 AM

Not sure. Certainly, nobody can blame lax gun laws though, this being the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 04, 2018, 11:05:23 AM

Not sure. Certainly, nobody can blame lax gun laws though, this being the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

My question was more around whether she legally purchased or "borrowed" from a friend or relative. I was not trying to start a gun control debate as much as just fill in the blanks regarding the incident. One can only speculate what she would have done had she not had access to a firearm. 
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 04, 2018, 11:12:23 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 04, 2018, 11:05:23 AM

My question was more around whether she legally purchased or "borrowed" from a friend or relative. I was not trying to start a gun control debate as much as just fill in the blanks regarding the incident. One can only speculate what she would have done had she not had access to a firearm.

Your question was clear. I'm not trying to start a debate, but if you aren't interested in a question of gun control, or accessibility of firearms, why even ask the question? I'm only pointing out the simple fact that California has the stiffest gun laws in the country. A reasonable point given the question, I think.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Boggit

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 04, 2018, 06:00:09 AM
This is tragic, though I'm honestly surprised it took this long to happen. YouTube is known for being biased in how it enforces its de-monitization policies. Though going in guns blazing is a bit of an over-reaction, obviously. Her videos might not have been all that interesting to begin with.

Hope those that were injured make a quick recovery.
My thoughts too, although I didn't anticipate someone would just randomly attack workers with a firearm.

I think their demonetisation policy is often appalling, especially so for those content makers who put a lot of effort into their work. But shooting the ordinary workers is just plain wrong. I hope they recover from their injuries soon.

Now shooting those responsible for the demonetisation policy...? nah, just kidding... ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 04, 2018, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2018, 08:11:13 AM
Incidentally, while she has an evidently Muslim-sounding name

Aghdam's family said they arrived in California from Iran in 1996. Her brother said Nasim had been living in San Diego with her grandfather.

Yes, I know, although rapid radicalization among 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants isn't unheard of. But my point was that the ethnic culture doesn't seem to have been a factor. (Unless maybe in a suuuper-loopy indirect way. Who knows what was going through her mind exactly in how she justified her actions to herself? But for now I'm expecting any militant violence to have inculturated, so to speak, from other directions.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2018, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on April 04, 2018, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 04, 2018, 08:11:13 AM
Incidentally, while she has an evidently Muslim-sounding name

Aghdam's family said they arrived in California from Iran in 1996. Her brother said Nasim had been living in San Diego with her grandfather.
I think that is a complete red herring. I don't see from the evidence that this has anything to do with her being a Muslim. As far as I can tell she was angered at the demonetisation policy, and was going to make Google pay in blood. i.e. she was a nutcase.

Yes, I know, although rapid radicalization among 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants isn't unheard of. But my point was that the ethnic culture doesn't seem to have been a factor. (Unless maybe in a suuuper-loopy indirect way. Who knows what was going through her mind exactly in how she justified her actions to herself? But for now I'm expecting any militant violence to have inculturated, so to speak, from other directions.)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Quote from: Boggit on April 05, 2018, 11:35:16 AM

I think that is a complete red herring. I don't see from the evidence that this has anything to do with her being a Muslim. As far as I can tell she was angered at the demonetisation policy, and was going to make Google pay in blood. i.e. she was a nutcase.

Quote from: JasonPrattYes, I know, although rapid radicalization among 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants isn't unheard of. But my point was that the ethnic culture doesn't seem to have been a factor. (Unless maybe in a suuuper-loopy indirect way. Who knows what was going through her mind exactly in how she justified her actions to herself? But for now I'm expecting any militant violence to have inculturated, so to speak, from other directions.) [...W]hile she has an evidently Muslim-sounding name, she was apparently posting vegan environmentalist things. So, not exactly the rationale one might inductively expect from past experience. (I'm using "rationale" for want of a better word.)

Amazingly, when I repeatedly said the evidence points to inculturalization (as I put it) from other directions than a Muslim background, despite her having an Iranian background, my quotes still work when posted in any order!  ::)

However, I allowed for the technical possibility that she was declaring her own little jihad for vegan rights or whatever. I haven't heard evidence of how she justified the attack, to herself, but it is not grossly rare for people to borrow concepts from prior cultures they've been exposed to even when they reject those cultures otherwise, repurposing them for their new intentions. It's pretty dang common actually! -- for better or for worse. But that's just me hedging my bets in case tomorrow I read somewhere that she had written a manifesto last week and called it a 'fatwa' because that sounded cool and she thought she'd be putting the concept to (in her looped-out estimate) good use.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Staggerwing

Her actions appear to be those of someone with a narcissistic disorder which rapidly declined into a psychpathic one resulting from she perceived as rejection of her worthiness and even betrayal by her chosen significant other, Youtube. After elevating her to 'meaningful' heights in the online world with her videos and paying her for them, allowing her to keep making more without other income, Evil Youtube suddenly took it all away from her for reasons she could only understand as rejection. The only thing left in her mind was revenge in the form of a one-sided Leibestod.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I read on Reuters that her weapons were purchased legally.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on April 05, 2018, 08:00:42 PM
I read on Reuters that her weapons were purchased legally.

By her?

I only ask because recently the press sort of elided past who exactly purchased a shooter's weapons legally. (It wasn't him, he borrowed them without explaining his intent. i.e. stole.)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd