Author Topic: Starfinder by Paizo  (Read 113 times)

Offline Yskonyn

• Condottieri
  • The Flying Dutchman
    • Visit my blog: Yassy HQ for various things combat simulation.
Starfinder by Paizo
« on: February 13, 2018, 01:52:47 AM »
I am a little amazed that nobody has discussed it yet?
Have any of you played this? How is it?
I might be starting this with a few friends later this year, so I am looking for impressions.
Nice thing is that your physical or pdf purchase will give you a discount on the module for Fantasy Grounds.
yassyblog.wordpress.com
3DS friendcode: 3738-0601-9543
Steam: Yskonyn

Online bayonetbrant

• Chief Arrogance Mitigator
  • Administrator
  • Musketeer
  • Loitering With Intent
Re: Starfinder by Paizo
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:39 AM »
I've thumbed through it on the shelves at the store a few times, but it's a lot of money to spend on something I'd just be reading and not likely to be playing
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »
Lots of rules and frankly Paizo has gone full tilt on publishing "extras" for the game already.  Core book, creature book, pawns, gm screen, modules, ect...they've already pushed it toward $200 for stuff.

Offline Dammit Carl!

• Viking
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:56:37 AM »
I could see playing it but never buying more than the core book; too much rule tomfoolery and any more, I've the attention span of a 4 year old hopped up on cotton candy when it comes to rpg systems and whatnot.

Offline Bison

• Captain America
  • Arquebusier
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:10:26 AM »
The system, like Pathfinder and similar games, really pushes a need for some form of miniature to effectively do combat.  I use minis, pawns, pennies, glass beads for a general understanding of the situation, but its pretty fluid and don't really get caught up with all of the nit-noid details.  I think this game and Pathfinder, like 4e D&D, is much more specific about the details and the need to reflect them accurately for the tactics of the rules to work properly.  What's all that mean?  Nothing, but I do think you do end up with a game that is more or less dictated by rules and rule exceptions and not guided by the rules.

I'm with you Carl on rules complexity.  These days if I like and prefer simple rule sets to overly complex ones.  5e is about as complex as I want to deal with in a game but I prefer more rules-light games like Basic Fantasy.