Got me some new wheels

Started by JudgeDredd, February 10, 2018, 07:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

The weather is too crap tomorrow - but Wednesday looks nice and crisp  O0
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Well...unfortunately, within 2 rides, the bike was making a rattling noise. I took it back to the shop and he's been trying to isolate and fix it ever since (2 months).

It finally came to a head today and I asked him what my options were - and I'm going for a refund and I'll buy something else. He just couldn't not stop the rattle...not matter what he tried. He tried putting some foam down with the cable (it's happening somewhere where the cables go into the frame).

Merida made a modification to prevent the noise issue - but something is wrong with this.

I now do not know what to get  :-\
Alba gu' brath

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

I can't wait to get old enough to get one of those Geriatric Tricycles and get in everybody's way by riding....it....real.......s-l-o-w. I love being cursed in public. You meet so many new people that way.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

lol

Turns out the guy spoke to Merida who said they did make some modifications to the frame for the 2018 edition - and so they're sending him a 2018 frame for me.

Free upgrade - love it.

https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/road-fitness-gravel/road-race/2018/scultura-5000-9307.html
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I was gonna suggest a new Camaro, but looks like you have things under control now.  O0

Staggerwing

I'm surprised that some of you didn't suggest investing the refund in a pleasure dungeon of some sort. You guys must be mellowing or something...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I thought everyone in the UK had one of those already?

I mean, it comes free with their Stamp Duty Land Tax, innit?

Sir Slash

Dammit! I buy stamps all the time and don't get nuttin' over here.  >:(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JudgeDredd

Well - the Scultura turned up and - unfortunately - it too was rattling.

So that's gone back and the guy at the shop has ordered me the Scott Addict 10

Alba gu' brath

Skwerl

My neighbor and his son are very serious bike racers.  Between them they must have 15 or 20 bikes (apparently some types of races require a very specific type of bike)  He has one that probably cost more than my car.  It's made entirely of unobtanium and fells like it weighs about 7 or 8 pounds.  By the way, this guy is in his 40s and thinks nothing of riding 100 miles on a Saturday (and we live in the mountains).

Forzamark

How is the Scott costing you? I would recommend the Cannondale supersix and if you can afford it get the hi-mod version.

trailrunner

I'm in the process of rebuilding my mountain bike.  I'm overhauling the front fork now and have taken it apart and started to clean it.  I also started to overhaul the disc brakes.  I rebuilt the calipers, but when I took apart the handle, one the plastic pieces was broken and I haven't been able to find a replacement (the overhaul kits contain everything except that fiddly part), so I decided to buy a new set of brakes.  I'm happy with that decision because rebuilding the first caliper was a pain, and I wasn't looking forward to doing the second one.

Below is a picture of my bike in my shop with the fork taken apart.  In the background you can see some of my other bikes.  I'm in the double-digits now, and can always justify n+1.  Many times in my life the bike on my car was worth more than the car.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.