Is anyone on these boards a vegan?

Started by JudgeDredd, February 09, 2018, 08:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Yes, JD I eat fruit also but love a late night snack while laughing at Grog-Humor and a cold glass of milk. Thus, Sugar-less snacks.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Hofstadter

Oh I am! I'm not a vegan but I lean very close to a plant based diet, I'm on my phone right now, but I bought daikon radish, long beans, employees, shimeji oyster and king oyster mushrooms for Tom yum, and tofu for red curry stir fry.

I even bought soybeans to make my own soymilk for coffee
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

trailrunner

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 13, 2018, 08:28:21 PM
Oh I am! I'm not a vegan but I lean very close to a plant based diet, I'm on my phone right now, but I bought daikon radish, long beans, employees, shimeji oyster and king oyster mushrooms for Tom yum, and tofu for red curry stir fry.

That doesn't sound very vegan.   ;)

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: trailrunner on February 13, 2018, 08:47:56 PM
Quote from: Hofstadter on February 13, 2018, 08:28:21 PM

That doesn't sound very vegan.   ;)

Auto-correct is a cruel mistress.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

She is a Botch, I mean a Batch, I meant a Bench. Dammit, stop that! A Bitch!
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Hofstadter

To be fair employees are soulless husks without meat.

The bones are good for stock though
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

bbmike

Quote from: Hofstadter on February 14, 2018, 12:05:21 AM
To be fair employees are soulless husks without meat.

The bones are good for stock though

Wait, do you work the FAA?!?  :hide:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

I'm two weeks in now and I'll be honest...the transition has been very, very easy. Much easier than I would've thought.

To understand that you'd need to understand how I ate previously.

I was mad on chocolate and cheese mostly. Savoury things not so. Meat, yes - but normal amounts really - no going mad on it. But chocolate I would eat huge amounts. I'm talking 250g in any one go - almost every day - and not always on it's own. And cheese...man - cheese. I'd make two sandwiches, with nice thick cut cheese - whilst cutting a few slices to eat as I was making my sandwich.

So I thought going vegan - cutting out cheese and dairy (so a lot of chocolate) was going to be very tough. Truth is - it really hasn't. My eating has adapted very well.

For chocolate I've rediscovered my love of dark chocolate. I used to love Bourneville chocolate as a kid...and it's back. The good thing about dark chocolate is it's so rich, you can't eat too much of it...and I don't. I bought a 200g bar of Bourneville chocolate last Monday and I still had some left at the end of the week. My chocolate intake is hugely down.

I have no cheese anymore - there's not even a half decent substitute for cheese - though at a push I will use vegan cheese to grate on my pizza...but no more cheese sandwiches.

As for meat - nope. Not missing it in the slightest so far. Or fish. Or eggs.

A couple of things which are quite difficult...

As I said, no cheese is hard to take. Also the other thing is seeing something that you'd like and looking at the back and finding it has milk or egg in it.

One hugely frustrating thing is the lack of easy identification. You really have to look at the ingredients...which is hard when you're shopping...turning everything round to look at the ingredients.

Overall though I'm very happy with the change. And as a nice little bonus, I've lost 6lbs.
Alba gu' brath

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Daroc

The name for gluten and sugar free is compost.

If God wanted us to be Vegetarian He would have made broccoli fun to shoot.