Main Menu

Berlin Wall

Started by airboy, February 05, 2018, 11:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 05, 2018, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2018, 09:01:12 PM
That is some fascinating stuff, OJ. Are there still aircraft that are always in the air or did that end when the first Cold War ended?

We stopped most of the "always airborne" rotations around '94 or so.  I remember it was a really big deal when they stopped the bomber rotations.

SAC was not pleased. Then SAC went buh-bye.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Most...so there are still some.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

It's not SAC anymore. Strike Command or some such. I haven't kept up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Gusington

Whatever it's called, they keep something in the air, ready to act, all the time...yes?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

I don't think so. I think we rely on land-based missiles and subs. I don't think we're keeping bombers in the air like we used to. I don't think we have the assests to do it now. Not 24/7.

mirth

I'm pretty sure Air Force one is ready to roll at a moment's notice and I'm pretty sure it could serve as KneeCap, but it's not like the bad old days. But wtf do I know?

Gusington

Are bombers still fueled up and ready to go at a moments notice on the ground? Or are bombers just too old fashioned and expensive and cumbersome to possess like that now?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2018, 09:51:56 PM
Are bombers still fueled up and ready to go at a moments notice on the ground? Or are bombers just too old fashioned and expensive and cumbersome to possess like that now?

The latter. No one has a real first-strike capability these days. Maybe someone flips nukes at us and then waits an hour or two before we glass them. Same result in the end.

mirth

Not that anyone ever could 'win' a nuke war, but it made for some interesting what ifs.

Gusington

There are a few people out there who believe a limited nuclear exchange is winnable somehow.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2018, 10:14:34 PM
There are a few people out there who believe a limited nuclear exchange is winnable somehow.

And they are total effing loons.

mirth

Kim Jong Un and Trumpy

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on February 05, 2018, 09:29:19 PM
Most...so there are still some.

I think there's still an airborne command post that stays in the air, but the bombers with the nukes are down.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

America's leadership in the 50s was agog with nuclear possibilities. One brilliant idea was to string 20 or so devices across Panama to build a wider Panama Canal. Another was to put anti-Communist propaganda messages on the Moon. The list goes on and on.