Ballistic Missile Alert for Hawaii Sent in Error

Started by mirth, January 13, 2018, 02:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

OJsDad

Users unable to read, also the last thing engineers think of. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

DoctorQuest

I will go along with the need for a "Are you f**king sure!!!!" prompt for the non-test option.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

Hard to believe. When I was a State Employee, if you pushed the wrong button the only thing that happened was somebody showed-up at the wrong room with a bedpan. That, however can be VERY bad itself though rarely do you need to take cover from it. I wouldn't mind being in the Grass Skirts Shelter cause if it's the End...... ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Was the bedpan used or new?

My in laws leave for Hawaii in a few days for a two month stay at some military hotels out there as they've done for the last few years. They were nonplussed.

At my current job I have responsibility for some warning systems...nothing like a missile warning system, but if press the wrong button at the wrong time many, many staffers will come after me and try to beat the crap out of me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Bedpans all start out new but once you use them.... they're yours for life.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2018, 05:31:51 PM
At my current job I have responsibility for some warning systems...nothing like a missile warning system, but if press the wrong button at the wrong time many, many staffers will come after me and try to beat the crap out of me.

Will the PA crank out "Yakkity-Sax" while you lead them on a merry chase?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Heh the PA actually is not controlled by me but by an even more crotchety, older bastard. I wish I could play some of his 'announcements' for you...they are classics of the Archie Bunker type.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"Hey there,  attention all youse meatheads. The Norks have flipped one of them nuke thingies at us and we're uh all totally screwed. That is all."
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on January 15, 2018, 05:31:51 PM
My in laws leave for Hawaii in a few days for a two month stay at some military hotels out there as they've done for the last few years. They were nonplussed.

Military hotel?  ???

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

That's where they have Major accommodations. And Private rooms.  :2funny:

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 16, 2018, 10:21:01 AM
That's where they have Major accommodations. And Private rooms.  :2funny:

That is Generally true.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

My father in law is a US Army Reserve LTCOL (retired) and they stay at military run hotels and condos in Hawaii for probably 1/3 the price of civilian hotels. One they love is literally on the property of the Barking Sands missile test center, appropriately enough.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on January 16, 2018, 10:28:12 AM
My father in law is a US Army Reserve LTCOL (retired) and they stay at military run hotels and condos in Hawaii for probably 1/3 the price of civilian hotels. One they love is literally on the property of the Barking Sands missile test center, appropriately enough.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully they have good fallout shelters in such places.