Main Menu

DCS F/A-18C

Started by Jarhead0331, July 03, 2017, 11:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

I get the feeling Nef and scoop, that you are more talking about a ww2 game needing a complete set of aircraft to simulate a war rather than comparing the flight models?
One of the things that is said of DCS is that some aircraft feel easy to fly.... because they were in real life. Some simulators go out of their way to exagerrate the flight failings of aircraft to make them seem hard and therefore more amazing to fly. I am not saying BOS is one of these. In fact I think CLOD probably had the most detailed model. But really what I find stands out when it comes to DCS is the depth perception and the feeling of flight I get, that I definitely do not get from the rather flat feeling BOS or for that matter CLOD.

What I am saying is that having flight models complex for the sake of saying it's cooler rather than having them simple because it was realistic for the aircraft to handle that way is not my bag.
When BOS came out everybody was saying the dx9 graphics (now dx11 I know) and the arcade like features and simplified flight model adapted from the ww1 engine were absolute shockers. It has come a long way I am guessing. What's even more confusing is that they seem to now have two engines running in tandem development since they brought the CLOD modders project in house.

I really hope that the DCS ww2 does well so that the DCS team can expand. That imho would be much better than BOS or an updated patched up CLOD.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

My perception from flying both sims simultaneous daily is the complete opposite.  Il2 Bos flight models seem more refined and organic.  It just seems like the Il2/ ROF engine is tailor made forprop aircraft so it feels the most authentic to me.  There's unique historical ins and outs to each aircraft.  I just don't get the same viceral experience from Dcs wwII, it just seems like the models and core are all dragged over from and engine gear for modern jet aircraft.  There's always going to be debate over which one an individual fancies over another.  Flight siming has become such a priority for me, I just do em all.  Rather than debate if Xplane or prepare is better, or IL2 BOS vs Dcs WWII,I just do both.  Then you have the luxury of having the perspective of both, but that might not be an investment for everyone.

Many of my criticism probaly stem from the fact that the 3 aircraft I'm flying are the origional prop aircraft released 3 years ago, so Dcs could very well be in the process of refining the WWII aircraft.  Plus they are working on the p-47, which will be interesting to see their rendition of it.

JudgeDredd

I really just wish they had stayed focussed on modern era, adding modern aircraft and, more importantly, scenarios and even new maps.

To go WWII just seems like a distraction that wasn't needed.

I'm happy that WWII fans are happy about the inclusion - personally, I wished they had finished just finished the mess of two versions first. Perhaps WWII didn't take away from that - I don't know. All I know is my perception of that merge of 2 versions is HORRENDOUSLY long
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2017, 12:55:51 AM
Does anyone else subscribe to this Bunyap Sim's channel on Youtube?

He's done some superb videos for DCS modules but I haven't heard anything from him for 5 months? Anyone got any scoop? I hope he's ok.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/products/campaigns/spitfire_operation_epsom_campaign/

The campaign he was working on is released.

JudgeDredd

Thanks Pete. I got an email from DCS saying this was out but I didn't know he was involved.

I don't have the WWII stuff and very unlikely to get it...but it's good to see he's still about. Who knows, his videos of his campaign may well turn me (please, God, no!)
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 28, 2017, 03:05:42 PM
Who knows, his videos of his campaign may well turn me (please, God, no!)

Yeah, you don't need this.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Pete Dero on July 29, 2017, 07:05:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 28, 2017, 03:05:42 PM
Who knows, his videos of his campaign may well turn me (please, God, no!)

Yeah, you don't need this.

B******  :'(

It might actually get me to fire up the game as I don't often do so (because of time limitations and complexity). WWII would suffer much less from this I imagine
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

Engine management on the Spit is quite complex.
As is the taxi procedure with a taildragger.
As is the aerodynamic model in the sim itself.

:)

Of course you can chicken out by using Game mode, but I dont think you want that? 😊😇
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

This bird is the new standard..... the weather effects are amazing!

Jarhead0331

You got early access???
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

This is one sweet MF aircraft! So nimble and powerful
Shit. Posted this and meant to come back and say "jk"...I got tied up in the Harrier and forgot...so, jk.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 13, 2018, 02:54:43 PM
Shit. Posted this and meant to come back and say "jk"...I got tied up in the Harrier and forgot...so, jk.  O0

You bastage!  I knew you were pulling my leg...but there was that slight tinge of possibility. Grrrrrrrrrr....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Was looking at this all day and realized the specs of the game might have passed my computer by in terms of graphics card...could have sworn things were OK with older DCS World, guessing the latest 2.5 might have upped the specs.  Tried playing the modules I had and seemed to skip quite a bit.....maybe picking this up right now won't be a wise thing until I get some upgrades.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 13, 2018, 05:03:32 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 13, 2018, 02:54:43 PM

You bastage!  I knew you were pulling my leg...but there was that slight tinge of possibility. Grrrrrrrrrr....
Yeah sorry. I genuinely meant to leave that for 5 minutes.

Seriously though, Spring must be over, right?
Alba gu' brath