Han Solo Movie

Started by mirth, June 22, 2017, 11:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Lucas wrote that his inspiration for the character was James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause.  A wise ass teenager, a loner in a hot car, who has the ability to pull off stupid challenges that pop into his mind.  Just like a real teenage boy.
This looks like they took Lucas at his word.  And, being a cocky pilot, he looks like a self centered risk taker.  From the trailer, it seems like they got that.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

BanzaiCat

I hope this has gotten over whatever issues they supposedly had developing the movie.

jamus34

Here's the difference between marvel and Star Wars in my mind.

Marvel has literally centuries of source material that Disney can borrow from and use. They change things, sure, but overall they are using the concepts.

With Star Wars they decided to chuck the 3 decades of intermittent source material and come up with their own shit. The fact they they refuse to introduce the Thrawn character in the movies is a huge miss IMO. It also doesn't help with the changes they are making on these spinoff movies mid production.
Insert witty comment here.

bbmike

I really need to read those Thrawn books.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: jamus34 on February 06, 2018, 09:10:55 AM
The fact they they refuse to introduce the Thrawn character in the movies is a huge miss IMO.

They brought Thrawn into the new canon, so it's still possible he'll show up in a movie. They made him a key part of the Rebels TV show which is probably the best SW Disney has put out so far.

Most of the EU stuff was junk, so it wasn't much of a loss to scrap it imo. Of course, Last Jedi had the story quality of a lame EU novel, so that ain't exactly progress for the franchise.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on February 06, 2018, 09:18:39 AM

They're okay, but I wouldn't call them must reads. Zahn gets credit because he was first with new material at a time when Star Wars was moribund. And he made a very cool character with Thrawn.

Honestly though, his books are B-grade material, but that still puts him at the top of most Star Wars EU novelists.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2018, 09:21:44 AM

They're okay, but I wouldn't call them must reads. Zahn gets credit because he was first with new material at a time when Star Wars was moribund. And he made a very cool character with Thrawn.

Honestly though, his books are B-grade material, but that still puts him at the top of most Star Wars EU novelists.

I second that - the books are okay. I'd say they're on par with the latest Star Wars movies - not bad, but not great. Thrawn is definitely one of the best characters in it, though. In that case you might want to watch Rebels.

bbmike

But they are Horta free, right?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on February 06, 2018, 09:39:15 AM

But they are Horta free, right?

You'll have to find out for yourself ;)

bayonetbrant

I disagree.  I think the Zahn trilogy is pretty excellent.  The ones after Zahn are pretty uneven.

I think it's a real testament to Thrawn that 25 years later he still pops up on lists of all-time sci-fi/fantasy villains
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jamus34

I mean I guess Thrawn wouldn't work because it would be unlikely he would be willing to serve under Snoke. He for damn sure wouldn't bend a knee for Ren.
Insert witty comment here.

W8taminute

Disney are a bunch of arrogant idiots who threw Star Wars into the toilet.  There is no way I'm going to waste money on any more star wars films from them.  I shall only see the Han Solo movie seven times.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

^ Yeah! That'll teach 'em!

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2018, 09:56:57 AM
I disagree.  I think the Zahn trilogy is pretty excellent.  The ones after Zahn are pretty uneven.

The ones after Zahn are mostly awful to the point of not being readable.

The Zahn books are readable, but I do not consider them excellent. They are above average Star Wars books where the average is pretty bad.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2018, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2018, 09:56:57 AM

The ones after Zahn are mostly awful to the point of not being readable.

The Zahn books are readable, but I do not consider them excellent. They are above average Star Wars books where the average is pretty bad.

why do you hate freedom?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers