Air combat games

Started by DicedT, February 14, 2017, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on February 10, 2018, 05:36:46 PM
OK folks...hook a brotha up here. I have a Jones for a solitaire air game. Which ones do you'all like, that are still available and in print?

Quote from: Yskonyn on February 11, 2018, 08:51:13 AM

For me, the absolute winner of air combat games, however, is Birds of Prey by Ad Astra Games. It's very detailed and pretty technical, but I do not know of a system that models dogfighting after the merge more realistically.
It might very well still not be what you're after though.

The Fighter Sweep expansion also introduces a bot system (SOAR) for true solitaire play.  Supposedly uses Soviet doctrine for a few specific Soviet types to fly against.

Not sure how well it does, as there may be some question regarding it's capability in the vertical, but it's nice to have a solo option.  I plan to eventually pick it up - maybe sometime this year.

BoP is an unusual system, so the initial learning curve may be slow going.  Likely a second time over when using the SOAR rules since those are also different than the regular BoP rules.  There is a fair bit of calculation required for running BoP, with assistance of nomograhps which make it much easier, but it still makes the turns take some time.

http://www.airbattle.com/Birds_of_Prey/Products.html

Also: 
DVG's Down In Flames: Lock-On, the first of the series to include solitaire rules, is currently being sent to the printers.  Should be arriving in a couple/three months.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/11606594/down-in-flames-locked-on

There aren't a lot of air combat games, on the individual aircraft & maneuver level, that offer true solitaire gameplay.  Most of them you'll have to run both sides.

There are a number of air warfare games which provide solitaire.  These are the ones focused on larger scale group strategies, resource management, planning, etc.   Such as the DVG "Leader" series, RAF, and the upcoming Red Storm from GMT.  You're not going to be doing combat maneuvers, but doing more group management & strategy with these types.

All the games referenced by various people are good options.  Just depends on what scale you want to operate, and whether you're okay with making some decisions for both sides or require dedicated solo rules.

mirth

Quote from: Nefaro on February 12, 2018, 04:06:16 PM
BoP is an unusual system, so the initial learning curve may be slow going.  Likely a second time over when using the SOAR rules since those are also different than the regular BoP rules.  There is a fair bit of calculation required for running BoP, with assistance of nomograhps which make it much easier, but it still makes the turns take some time.

This.

In no way is it a knock on BoP. I own the base game. I have played it cons. It is a great game, but it is not simple or easy to learn.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Yskonyn

Quote from: mirth on February 12, 2018, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 12, 2018, 04:06:16 PM

This.

In no way is it a knock on BoP. I own the base game. I have played it cons. It is a great game, but it is not simple or easy to learn.

No, this is true. Its a complex game. It models energy management and aerodynamics asno other game does.
Or at least it looks to be so when you open the box and see the nomographs and the data cards!
But, while I agree the initial learning curve is steep, plotting your moves follows the same steps every time, so you will develop routine and cut down on processing time quite a bit after a while.

Also, the community is very helpful. Actually there is a learning game being setup as we speak. Might be a good time to check in on the groups.io/airbattle site!

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."