DnD 5e

Started by BanzaiCat, January 17, 2017, 04:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

34 years ago...sigh

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 18, 2017, 06:20:45 AM

Our bi-monthly D&D group has all n00bs.  When we were setting up and rolling characters, one of my friends decided he wanted to be a Bard.  In typical fashion, he named his character, Bard.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

BanzaiCat

The guy running the group said to roll 4d6 three times, dropping the lowest d6 result with each roll. This is what I came up with:

First roll: 17, 17, 15, 12, 11, 10 (82 total)
Second roll: 13, 13, 12, 9, 8, 8 (63)
Third roll: 17, 16, 15, 15, 12, 10 (85)

I like the first and third rolls...the first one is of course three total points lower, but two 17s is pretty cool. Still, the third roll is a much better overall character, I think.

Since I'm leaning towards a monk, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the races. Right now these are the ones I'm looking at:

Dragonborn - A badass. +2 Strength and +1 Charisma, plus breath weapons, among other things?

Forest Gnome - the +1 Dexterity is compelling.

Dark Elf - +1 to Charisma, but that's not important. Dark Elf, man.

Half-Elf - +2 to Charisma and +1 to any other two stats? That's very compelling.

Tiefling - unusual and interesting character type.

Personally, I enjoy playing characters that have a tendency/background of evil, but have turned good (in Star Wars I liked playing the turned Imperial Officer character, for example). The Tiefling and Dark Elf, and maybe Dragonborn, are all highly interesting in this capacity.

Bison

Wisdom and dexterity for the monk.

Bison

The third roll is better honestly.

BanzaiCat

I'm thinking that, too.

Third roll.

17 for Dex, 16 for Wis.

Leaning more towards a Tiefling character.

The group looks like two Dwarves and one Half-Orc. One guy posted in response:

QuoteCool! Two stumpies, a lizard-lips, and SATAN!

;D

Bison

What are stat bonuses for tiefling?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Bison on January 18, 2017, 12:00:45 PM
What are stat bonuses for tiefling?

Intelligence +1, Charisma +2.

Bison

I'd put the 15s in strength and constitution. 

Jack Nastyface

Quote from: Bison on January 18, 2017, 01:02:40 AM
What was the party composition?
for my game - 1 fighter, 1 ranger, 1 cleric and 1 wizard
for my daughter's game:  1 fighter, 1 cleric, 1 rogue and can't remember the fourth player.
Really, the encounter came down to a bunch of very bad rolls for the party.  The goblin archers rolled hits, the party rolled misses.  Nothing more complicated than that.  In retrospect, I think the mistake was to not rush the archers.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Bison

I assume you are talking about the road encounter in Lost Mines of Phandelver. That can be a tough encounter if the party lets the goblins used the woods to trigger there hide ability.

BanzaiCat

I gotta now figure a plausible backstory for a world I know little about.

From what I'm seeing online, the Forgotten Realms are 5e's digs, right?

No idea where a Tiefling Monk would come from, but I have a few ideas.

Bison

Not necessarily.  But it is the most likely campaign setting, if the DM is not using a homebrew world.  5e Forgotten Realms setting is basically limited right now to the Sword Coast as far as published materials from WotC. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on January 18, 2017, 08:22:22 PM
Not necessarily.  But it is the most likely campaign setting, if the DM is not using a homebrew world.  5e Forgotten Realms setting is basically limited right now to the Sword Coast as far as published materials from WotC.

I still have the 3E Forgotten Realms hardback.  That thing was so jammed full of Realms info, it constantly requested biscuits for jam containment.

If I were playing 5E, I'd hope that they provided such a big all-in-one splatbook for it again.  But ya never know...