Dice Discussion

Started by Bison, January 17, 2017, 11:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I forgot I'd ordered some Chessex dice sets at the LFGS.  They were there for pick up today.  I know I bitched earlier about Chessex dice, but these things are sexy.  Teal set for me and a pink set for the youngest daughter. 

Bison

Yeah.   I would just head down to your local game shop.  I bet they carry Chessex and you can look at the coloring in person.  Sometimes the colors on Amazon don't do them justice or make them seem less gaudy than they are in real life.  The price will also be almost identical or within a dollar or less of the online pricing.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

The pound of dice are great IF you don't want sets of matching colors and you can deal with the assortment of oddly colored dice they include.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on January 17, 2017, 08:40:44 PM
Just order this.  :-"

You ass!  ;D

LOL

I'll probably buy a set of dice from the gaming store, too. Would be nice to support them in a small way. I know they already sell games for 30% off MSRP...something I did NOT need to know about.

bbmike

I actually bought that set last year. I was able to get 7 more complete sets of matching color. Great quality! It is a roll of the dice on what you will get though.  ^-^
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

That does look like a sweet deal.

I need to find my dice bags. At that gamer's flea market last year I traded a game for a sweet customized Pac-Man dice bag that the wife of one of the game sellers there was selling herself.

Bison

Quote from: bbmike on January 17, 2017, 08:51:06 PM
I actually bought that set last year. I was able to get 7 more complete sets of matching color. Great quality! It is a roll of the dice on what you will get though.  ^-^

That was a lucky bag of dice.  I don't think we got one set of the same color other than the guaranteed one.  The nice thing is that you have enough dice for a number of other players who don't have dice.  Honestly if I had it to do over, I would have picked up the Skull Splitter or Wiz Dice bulk bags that come with guaranteed matching sets of dice.

bbmike

Quote from: Bison on January 17, 2017, 08:57:58 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 17, 2017, 08:51:06 PM

That was a lucky bag of dice.  I don't think we got one set of the same color other than the guaranteed one.  The nice thing is that you have enough dice for a number of other players who don't have dice.  Honestly if I had it to do over, I would have picked up the Skull Splitter or Wiz Dice bulk bags that come with guaranteed matching sets of dice.

Oops! I went back and looked. I actually ordered this dice pack. It actually comes with a guarantee to get complete sets! The Chessex dice I bought were two d6 sets and one polyhedral 7-Die set.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

OK.  That makes much more sense.  How do you like them?  I've never used Wiz Dice, but I've considered that very bag in the past.

bbmike

I really like them. My only complaint is that they use the "." to help distinguish between 6 and 9 instead of the "_" that I like better. If you zoom on the picture in the link and look at a 6 or 9 you can see what I mean. Otherwise, great dice.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Bison

Yup I see what you are saying.  It's weird that they mixed and matched the . and _ on different dice.  The big issue I had with the Chessex pound of dice beyond some truly horrible color combinations is that the _ under the 6 and 9 on almost all of the 20 sided dice isn't painted or barely painted enough to be noticeable.

MetalDog

Do you guys remember the wax crayon they included in the purple Basic box and the blue Expert box to color in the dice?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Jack Nastyface

@bison...I think there are few youtube videos on how to check to see if your dice are imbalanced.  Involves salt-water solution.  Clear dice are best apparently. 
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.