Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on January 30, 2018, 09:31:01 PM
Damn good episode this week.

I hated it. 

Well, hate is a strong word. 

I liked the episode, but decided I might hate Discovery. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mirth

I thought Lorca was insane, but apparently everyone in Starfleet is insane.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on February 06, 2018, 10:32:19 PM
I thought Lorca was insane, but apparently everyone in Starfleet is insane.

It's an old Starfleet tradition to give crazy pills to its senior Captains and Flag officers.  Discovery isn't any different. 

A little thing I worked up once that needs some polish, but got the point across...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Is that list invalid, or just incomplete? I keep trying to find Janeway's photo...  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 13, 2018, 09:06:28 AM
Is that list invalid, or just incomplete? I keep trying to find Janeway's photo...  ???

LOL, you got me. 

Quote from: mirth on February 13, 2018, 07:49:30 PM
that ending was so lame.

Yep.  Terrible.  Lets just hand wave the entire damned season in a few inexplicable minutes.   We didn't like that story anyway say the writers!  Enjoy your Klingon Ex Machina!

So many opportunities to bring the show in line more with the canon, so many lost chances that they either only did half right or squandered. 

Only redeeming factor, the design of the surprise ship at the end.  While not 100% what I hoped for, it was light years better than literally every Starfleet design throughout the season.  It was like they were saying "See, we could've listened to what you wanted, and here's a bone for you!".  It both thrilled and frustrated me equally. 

Oh, and Clint Howard's cameo was boss.  Best thing about the entire season. 

Will I be there for season 2?  I think so despite my bitching.  The last moment might be a promise of a new beginning next season to finally make it more of a Star Trek show.  It was clear that the writers and producers didn't like the story they were left with when they fired Bryan Fuller too late in the process to start again.  Maybe if they can start fresh without having to erase everything he did in a back to front fashion, it'll be better.

Steelgrave

I'm sure I've shared this, but William Windom (Commodore Decker) bought my mom a dozen roses and took her to dinner after encountering her when she was an extra in a film. Mom was a looker, and no son really likes to think this way but she was built. Not saying how the date went since I was pretty young at the time, but I remember spending the night with Grandma that evening   ::)

Steelgrave

Oh and lest I forget....Rene Auberjonois was also in the film! Brewster McCloud, long considered one of the worst movies ever made  :2funny:

mirth

There's going to be a second season.

I will say that Michelle Yeoh was awesome in that season finale. She owned every scene she was in. The show I want to watch is centered around her Mirror Universe character.

I like Tilly more than ever now.

And yeah, the Clint Howard cameo was a nice touch.

I'm wondering if they'll drag Spock into season 2. He should be aboard the Enterprise as Pike's Science Officer.

Destraex

Kill it with fire and give me a real one. A second season you say... maybe I should now watch past the 4th episode of the first season. It obviously got better.
Did it turn into platoon in space? Or did it settle down and get over itself and it's "breakthrough" swearing scenes? :P
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mirth

If you didn't like the first four episodes, you will not like the rest.

It is a flawed show with some huge problems with plot, but it has some interesting ideas. The cast overall is excellent and really is what made it worth watching imo. I appreciate trying something new with TV Trek. I really wasn't interested in watching another Voyager or Enterprise. Nor do I want anymore of the JJ Abrams Trek. That "Beastie Boys Saves the Galaxy" movie was the last straw for me.

Hopefully the second season of Discovery is better. If it is not, I doubt there will be a third season.

Centurion40

I love this show! Yeah the season finale blew a goat, but overall I love this show.
Any time is a good time for pie.

WallysWorld

The finale was so-so, but the last minute blew my mind as a nostalgic fan of TOS.

Enough to keep me watching the second season.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!