Main Menu

War of Rights

Started by IronX, October 17, 2015, 05:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

Civil War FPS on kickstarter. Not sure if this has been discussed before, but it looks interesting:

(Oh, greetz, fellas: first post - yay!)

Toonces

I saw your name and I thought, "Man, I haven't seen IronX around in like forever." 

That game looks pretty neat. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Hey IronX! Welcome to Grogheads!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

IronX!  Yeah, I remember you from the other place where I lurked more. 

As to a Civil War FPS.  Nope.  Reenacting, especially as an officer has ruined this.  I do it for real 8 weekends a year.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

IronX - where the hell have you been??

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 17, 2015, 06:02:21 PM

As to a Civil War FPS.  Nope.  Reenacting, especially as an officer has ruined this.  I do it for real 8 weekends a year.

Wow, that must be super killer fun!  Do you have any pics are anything you can share?  I'd love to hear more about what that's like; seeing one of those reenactments is on my short list of things I must do while I'm on the east coast.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

IronX

Thanks guys: good to be home!

And while I'm sharing vids, check this one out for IL2:

Boggit

Hey IronX. :)

I really enjoyed your Long War Mod and Arab Israeli Mod that you did with Squad Battles. Great work. Have you done any more mods since? O0
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on October 17, 2015, 06:29:13 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 17, 2015, 06:02:21 PM

Wow, that must be super killer fun!  Do you have any pics are anything you can share?  I'd love to hear more about what that's like; seeing one of those reenactments is on my short list of things I must do while I'm on the east coast.

Pictures and stories? Tons of them.  I'm not one of the East Coast boys, they are very solid and I've got a lot of friends and compatriots out there, but they do things a bit differently, and a lot sometimes better than how we are in the deep southeast.  Not to say we don't take pride in what we do here.  I have particular pride that my boys in my Company are the best.

But yeah, I'm an Alabama/Georgia reenactor, so lots of dismounted Cavalry and skirmishes rather than the big marquee battles like Gettysburg.  My unit is the 6th Alabama Cavalry Company B/10th Indiana Cavalry Company F.  I don't want to hijack IronX's thread, but yeah, I've got more than a decade and more than a few dollars in the hobby, so games like this are kind of lost on me. 

Once I made company commander it got even more wild.  Now every few weekends I actually get to wargame for real, responding to real situations, with real people under my command from a first person perspective.  It's essentially the pinnacle of the wargamer hobby.

And ok, just one picture of me commanding my boys at 150th Selma...

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Boggit

Impressive pic! Have you made any videos?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

That fire behind you looks serious.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Boggit on October 17, 2015, 08:07:27 PM
Impressive pic! Have you made any videos?

Other people have.  I've been too busy to take pictures or videos.  There's a a few videos where you can see my arm while we assault the works at 150th Atlanta.  I fell in as a Private in the 4th Georgia Infantry for that one, and it was amazing.

Quote from: Gusington on October 17, 2015, 08:54:10 PM
That fire behind you looks serious.

Making that fire was serious business.  It was not a cool day by any stretch of the imagination for one.  We actually fired the cabin with real torches, but someone dropped theirs back behind the trees before they could run up and toss their torch in the window.  The torch set fire to the grass and spread, very fast to an SUV that was hidden behind the treeline.  I had to get my company to perform fire brigade duty, fast, and put out the blaze, and then form up and go into battle where we assaulting the Confederate right flank.  The blaze on the cabin was so hot we had to unbutton or strip jackets, it was probably 130F or more on the field just from the fire plus the humidity and clear skies and sun. 

SirAndrewD

So yeah, not to hijack this....

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=15133.0

Lets keep to the discussion of the game here and welcome IronX with open arms.

Want to talk about reenacting, I've got that above.  10 plus years of answers for those that want to do that hobby.  ;)

DennisS

Political correctness run amok. It wasn't a war of states rights..it was a war to keep slavery. I will stay away from this game, for this reason.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DennisS on October 18, 2015, 01:48:55 PM
Political correctness run amok. It wasn't a war of states rights..it was a war to keep slavery. I will stay away from this game, for this reason.

Loser.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18