Main Menu

Endless Space 2

Started by tgb, July 30, 2015, 10:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: bbmike on May 21, 2017, 07:51:22 AM
I'm still playing the first game I started. I haven't met any major races either but I can see the edge of another race. My star lanes were all dead ends. I'm in last place right now. I should start over I guess but I'm still having fun and want to see what happens next. There's still a lot to do (quests, anomalies to investigate, etc.). I've also encountered 'alien ships' and pirates.

And yes, the game really is beautiful.  O0

Why start over? You don't need starlanes to travel. There is a tech that allows for warp (or something) and travel between systems sans star lanes. It's a tier 2 tech so it doesn't take long to get
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Anguille

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 21, 2017, 06:29:45 AM
I'm in the middle of my first game. I'm playing on a huge map and am at around turn 60. So far, I have not made contact with another major faction. I have discovered one minor faction and assimilated it. Not sure, I like this feature, but you can see the score of every major faction from turn one, even if they are undiscovered. So while you don't know which race they are, you can see how they are doing compared to you. Of 8 species I'm ranked 5th, so the AI must be doing something right. You are also notified when another race discovers something significant, like the Academy, or completes a challenge/achievement. The AI in my game appear to bbe over achievers...

I'll echo mikeck, the game is simply a stunner. The art direction is superb.
If you continue, i will end buying it faster than planned!

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

I keep waiting for this thread to catch fire, but I'm not hearing much.  I'd love to hear, now that it's finally released, what sets this game apart from Stellaris or GalCiv III or even Whatever They Named MoO 4.  Great artwork and a solid UI, I've heard, but that's about all... 

How's it different?

mikeck

Not sure it is...not sure any space 4xs are really different....that's the problem.but if you've ever played endless space one then you have an idea.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

What do you folks think about the 'hands-off' ship combat?

Overall, I didn't much enjoy ship combat in Endless Space the original. While I can see the appeal of a more hands-off approach,  I felt ES's 'choose a card' mechanic was a little too hands off for my liking.

Hofstadter

I got it too, not up To combat yet, but it's very enjoyable so far
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 24, 2017, 07:59:04 PM
What do you folks think about the 'hands-off' ship combat?

Overall, I didn't much enjoy ship combat in Endless Space the original. While I can see the appeal of a more hands-off approach,  I felt ES's 'choose a card' mechanic was a little too hands off for my liking.

Personally, I always felt that if you were going to abstract combat, I'd prefer at least some kind of engagement with it. Like, Amplitude made a choice not to offer a full interactive-combat mechanic, which is totally their choice to make. Bearing that in mind, the alternative is what Paradox do, which is 100% "hands-off" and is pretty much down to watching the AI crunch numbers.

I like card games, so I appreciated the aesthetic of 'playing cards' to give you a buff.

In ES2 though they seem to have taken a step back even more. You have a deck of battle tactics and you can customise a 'Hand' that every fleet takes into battle with them. You then pick one at the start of an engagement, and its effects apply through-out. While the mode is just as pretty to look at, I'm saddened that they've taken even the card-playing aspect away. It works though, so hopefully they'll iterate on it.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Geezer

Not much interest here I guess but the latest patch is out:

[1.2.4] Patch Notes

[FIXES]
"Random tech" rewards from quests and events can no longer grant weapons using strategic resources
Fixed an issue where The Core Cracker module was displayed as "available" in the Ship Design screen for level 1 and 2 Arks
The Coordination Request panel in the end turn window now automatically shows when joining an alliance
Fixed heroes gaining too many levels when received too much experience at once
Fixed an issue where Military Stage IV unlock notification only shows 4 of its 6 unlocks
Fixed an issue where the Ark image in the System Management screen control banner and fleet unit image does not display the upgraded hulls 
Fixed an issue where the fleet Action Point icon was not properly displayed
Removed Counter-Offer button in the Diplomatic Interaction Notification when against AI
Fixed an issue where Ark Improvements in the Constructed Improvement Panel were not displaying correct images
Fixed heroes surviving a battle although they've been defeated if they were with a Vodyani Ark which was destroyed as well
Fixed a situation where a fleet with 0 ships could appear on AI players
Fixed a rare crash when exiting the game
Fixed AI sometimes spamming other empires with Contextual diplomacy exchanges
Fixed Chroma restrictions to be available and working only with recent Razer SDK versions: 2.7.5 and up. This fixed blocking errors about Message Box
Fixed an issue where the Start Negotiation button in the Minor Faction notification was available even if the minor had been assimilated/killed
Locus of swarm no longer bugs out if the player destroys the fleet and if the battle is considered a draw
Fixed Civilians being able to turn into Privateers
Fixed an issue with the value the Mysterious plague ship quest required for its first objectives
[BALANCE]
Manpower production is now impacted by game speed
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Jarhead0331

The game looks absolutely beautiful. The aesthetics are very sharp, original and unique. I like that many of the races are different from one another and from what we typically see in 4x games. However, there is something about the game that makes it difficult for me to get hooked.  Not sure if it's the UI, if it's the difficulty levels, the way the game flows. I don't know...it's just never my "go to" game. I'm going to give it more time to take hold. It deserves it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Just bought this for half off at Steam yesterday. Just pittled around with it a little last night but it looks very different compared to the original.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

joram

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 26, 2018, 07:16:47 AM
The game looks absolutely beautiful. The aesthetics are very sharp, original and unique. I like that many of the races are different from one another and from what we typically see in 4x games. However, there is something about the game that makes it difficult for me to get hooked.  Not sure if it's the UI, if it's the difficulty levels, the way the game flows. I don't know...it's just never my "go to" game. I'm going to give it more time to take hold. It deserves it.
+1

solops

Played ES1. ES2 looks like more of the same. I have no interest in the game mainly because of the battle mechanics... or the lack thereof. Jarhead pretty much nailed it.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bbmike

^Much improved over ES1 from what I can tell. Not sure about the combat yet, I don't think they changed that much.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: solops on January 26, 2018, 06:29:57 PM
Played ES1. ES2 looks like more of the same. I have no interest in the game mainly because of the battle mechanics... or the lack thereof. Jarhead pretty much nailed it.

I like the way the battles are resolved and am satisfied with being involved in the tactics by choosing how my ships fight and where they fly by choosing battle plans. Too each their own. It is ES1 with more little things and better older things. If you like the first one you'll like the second one. If you didn't like the first one you won't like the second one.