Hmm...

Started by BanzaiCat, May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Well, MD, I just checked out the local Wally World and they didn't have it. Online, it is available for just a hair under $12, and their in-store pickup said there wasn't a copy at a Wal-Mart within 50 miles. I'll probably just break down and order it online.

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on May 28, 2015, 04:19:51 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on May 28, 2015, 02:51:03 PM
More SHELVES !! Good grief , this is getting awful serious  :o
That reminds me:  I really need to get a second bookshelf.  The one I have is so over-crowded it's ridiculous.  :buck2:

Me too.  That came to mind when the "hoarder" thing came up.  ;D

One huge shelf case.  Two moderate-sized bookshelves and a smaller one.  And I still need more!

Time to start selling some of my tabletop games, maybe?  Or just buy another big shelf!     ??? 

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on May 28, 2015, 04:40:20 PM
Time to start selling some of my tabletop games, maybe?

Barthheart

Emeraldlis

Really guys don't sell a game , sell a limb !! Only make sure it ain't your gaming hand  ;)

Here I was thinking you were all hard core hoarders !
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 26, 2015, 03:49:09 PM
Any recommendations from you more experienced D&D players? I still have my 1978 editions of the Player's Handbook and DMG, but nothing else.

Late to this party, but have you taken a gander at any of the OSR ("Old School Revival,") clones of the D&D rules - both "Basic," and "Advanced," flavored -  that are out there nowadays?  There are more than a few free ones available and it would be using a system you are familiar with.  The to-pay-for OSR rules that are available are pretty dang good too in terms of production.

I ask as you didn't mention them, so forgive me if I'm covering something you already know about - I don't want to be "that guy."

Or, if newer rules are more to your liking, you can't go too far wrong with Savage Worlds (a generic sort of rules-set) and one of their theme sourcebooks, or the 3rd Ed. d20 D&D spawned "Castles and Crusades."

Hope this helps!

Double Deuce

I have heard good things about Castles and Crusades but I have never played it. When TSR/WoTC moved on from 2e AD&D I dropped D&D and went to Rolemaster and Harnmaster as my table top RPGs although I did flirt with OSRIC for a short time in the last few years.

Having been away from D&D for many, many years, I picked up 5e just to see what all the fuss was about. IMHO, it's actually pretty good. I really like the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic but not real keen on the backgrounds and characteristics. All my backgrounds are homebrewed for my preferred world and generally I let the players come up with their own characteristic type stuff.

bayonetbrant

C&C is a great game, and a nice throwback, but I suspect DD5e is going to really cut into their audience.

All sorts of free stuff discussed here, including a bunch of the old-school stuff discussed above
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=12169.0

I happen to really like Savage Worlds, and the basic 'starter' book is only $10, so it's not like it's a huge investment.  That site also includes a PDF of the quick-start rules you can check out
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Double Deuce

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 29, 2015, 05:45:17 AM
C&C is a great game, and a nice throwback, but I suspect DD5e is going to really cut into their audience.

I can't speak for face to face tabletop but in the VTT area 5e is having a really strong showing. On the Fantasy Grounds boards I have noticed a large number of those coming in are more of old school age range (in their 40's and older). Had 2 in their 60's looking for games the other day, really old, old school.   :coolsmiley:

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 29, 2015, 05:45:17 AM

I happen to really like Savage Worlds, and the basic 'starter' book is only $10, so it's not like it's a huge investment.  That site also includes a PDF of the quick-start rules you can check out

I'm not familiar with the Savage Worlds system.  But it's Dead Lands setting has always looked interesting.  I'll probably check out Dead Lands Reloaded at some point.

bayonetbrant

Deadlands predates Savage Worlds by several years but was later adapted to SW, just like Solomon Kane and Space: 1889.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 29, 2015, 08:45:41 AM
Deadlands predates Savage Worlds by several years but was later adapted to SW, just like Solomon Kane and Space: 1889.

Yeah, I know it's been around for awhile and with various game systems.  I'm guessing the latest SW version is well-liked. 

The Post-Apoc Deadlands: Hell On Earth setting would probably fill a better hole in my library, though.  I could use a Post-Apoc setting, and the extra "weirdness" is a bonus in that case.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 09:20:38 AM
The Post-Apoc Deadlands: Hell On Earth setting would probably fill a better hole in my library, though.  I could use a Post-Apoc setting, and the extra "weirdness" is a bonus in that case.

Goblinoid Games' "Mutant Future," which is based off of their Labyrinth Lord rules, hauls the old-school Gamma World feel for free into the 21st century. 

On a more "serious', note, Sine Nomine games has a titled called, "Other Dust," that covers the post-apocalyptic environment without the whole gonzo Gamma World thing as a backdrop per se.

As an aside, I wholeheartedly offer up any of Sine Nomine's games for consideration as: 1. they give plenty of sandboxy options for a gm to run with - take a look at their "Stars Without Number," sci-fi rpg (another freebie) to see what I'm talking about. 2. the game system is pretty much OSR based, so its kind of like a common language for rpgers of a sort, but with its own particular twist. 3. the owner/author is out there on the boards and is not afraid to engage with the folks.  4. every time Kevin does a kickstarter, he already has 80-90% of the work done - his kickstarters pay for the art mostly - so you aren't paying money on the hopes that he starts writing (looking at you, Dwimmermount / James M. for a cock-up of colossal proportions).  On a personal note, I do have a few Sine Nomine games, so my perspective is biased a wee bit.

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on May 31, 2015, 09:03:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 29, 2015, 09:20:38 AM

Goblinoid Games' "Mutant Future," which is based off of their Labyrinth Lord rules, hauls the old-school Gamma World feel for free into the 21st century. 

On a more "serious', note, Sine Nomine games has a titled called, "Other Dust," that covers the post-apocalyptic environment without the whole gonzo Gamma World thing as a backdrop per se.

As an aside, I wholeheartedly offer up any of Sine Nomine's games for consideration as: 1. they give plenty of sandboxy options for a gm to run with - take a look at their "Stars Without Number," sci-fi rpg (another freebie) to see what I'm talking about. 2. the game system is pretty much OSR based, so its kind of like a common language for rpgers of a sort, but with its own particular twist. 3. the owner/author is out there on the boards and is not afraid to engage with the folks.  4. every time Kevin does a kickstarter, he already has 80-90% of the work done - his kickstarters pay for the art mostly - so you aren't paying money on the hopes that he starts writing (looking at you, Dwimmermount / James M. for a cock-up of colossal proportions).  On a personal note, I do have a few Sine Nomine games, so my perspective is biased a wee bit.

Thanks.

I briefly check some info with the Sine Nomine stuff.  I got the impression that the game mechanics were rather run-of-the-mill so haven't delved much further yet.  Maybe I will.

Dammit Carl!

So have you picked something to go with, Banzai_Cat?

I personally can't get my kids too interested in anything roleplaying which is a shame considering how much shelf space I've got dedicated to said hobby, so I'm curious to see how it goes for you.