Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Crossroads

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

BanzaiCat

Is your game a...goer, eh? Nudge nudge, he asked him knowingly!

bayonetbrant

I finally found that picture I'd been looking for of the divisional-level Panzer Leader game from Origins.  It was 2009...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

^If John Tiller did board games...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I won't be impressed until they do a re-creation of the Battle of Kursk via Squad Leader.  :buck2:

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 27, 2018, 09:31:30 PM
I finally found that picture I'd been looking for of the divisional-level Panzer Leader game from Origins.  It was 2009...

That's, what, four PL boxes on that table? I cried a little.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Crossroads on January 28, 2018, 02:23:22 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 27, 2018, 09:31:30 PM

That's, what, four PL boxes on that table? I cried a little.

There's a couple hundred home-made counters to go w/ the home-printed river across the back, which the player on the left had to cross as a part of the early scenario just to get on the map
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Uberhaus

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 27, 2018, 10:23:34 PM
I won't be impressed until they do a re-creation of the Battle of Kursk via Squad Leader.  :buck2:
Would you settle for ASL doing just the Prokorovkha part?  http://www.vftt.co.uk/files/tactiques-stalnie-prostori-cg.pdf
In my first ASL tournament, I lost my last game to the translator, Alain Chabot.

BanzaiCat

I'm not surprised at all. That's awesome and worrying at the same time. ;D

Cyrano

@staggerwing:  That photograph is why Panzer Battles is sexy...to some...like me.  It's PB/PL -- same scale -- and you can do the entire freaking Normandy invasion.  Not that I have. Yet.

@Uberhaus:  I am backing slowly away from that looking for an exit and a weapon.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bbmike

Space Empires 4x on the table right now, but with the Civ6 expansion out I don't know when I'll get to start. And note that I had to use my Federation Commander board. The one that comes with SE4x is too big for my wee gaming table.  :(

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: Cyrano on January 31, 2018, 12:12:00 PM
@staggerwing:  That photograph is why Panzer Battles is sexy...to some...like me.  It's PB/PL -- same scale -- and you can do the entire freaking Normandy invasion.  Not that I have. Yet.

@Uberhaus:  I am backing slowly away from that looking for an exit and a weapon.

I just began a JTCS West Front PBEM 3x3 battle on V Panzerarmee at Bulge. The map, with 250m hexes, is  300 x 200 hexes, that's 60 000 hexes to maneuver in.

The designer had divided the map to three historical operational areas, with Unpassable hexes running diagonally, separating the areas from one another. He's allowed the historical roads to cross over these boundaries however, so, at stages, it is possible to agree to move a certain formation from one sector to another.

It is on, I've got the northern most sector, with 2d Volksgrenadier D. leading the line, and Fuhrer Begleiter D. as reserves, arriving later.

How these works is that the three players on each side agree on a save-game password, then the first player does his part, saves, passes on to second, rinse and repeat, and the third player finally ends the turn and sends over. To have an addtional roleplaying factor, we agreed on a C-in-C who gets to decide who gets what available generic assets, so for instance it is entirely possible should there be an opportunity elsewhere I'd need to pass over Fuhrer Begleiter to central sector, say.

at 94 turns as whole, this will likely take well over a year to complete. St Vith here I come...  :uglystupid2:

bob48

Just arrived today - so, on the table but still in the box, if you know what I mean,

'Last Eagles - Ligny 1815' from Hexasim.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!