This Weekend's Article: A Look at Warhammer Armageddon Complete

Started by bayonetbrant, July 25, 2015, 03:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

-budd-

It's the same with all the panzer corps engine games. Same games different skins. If you've played one, you've played them all. Kind of the same with the BA engine games. I played the first BA game and Hell and have no desire to play anything else made with the engine.I glad some people can enjoy them but to me it's a tired formula. I suspect it will be the same with the new engine their developing for Steel Tigers. Makes sense from a business perspective to milk an engine you put alot of money and time into. Hopefully the new engine will be a lot more flexible, i suspect it will. Of course my gamer ADHD could also explain the above mentioned opinions.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Boggit

^^
@-budd- :)

Well it's certainly true what you say about the basic engine, and the re-skinning issue, IMO too. I also agree that it makes commercial sense to develop 'new' games out of successful designs too.

To be fair it can be said of a huge amount of "series" games, most of which have a large following in the community. You mentioned Panzer Corps, but the same can also be said for the different stables of JTS games, like Panzer Campaigns, Squad Battles, SSI's Steel Panthers in their various iterations, AGEOD's AGE engine games, Combat Mission, the Eugen Systems games like Air-Land battle, or even Total War games. Sure there are subtle differences, but most "series" games operate from the same basic game engines. It doesn't make them bad games, and if you like them then you're onto a winner when a "new" iteration comes out, if you are looking for a game you like but with a different background, scenarios etc

As to the Warhammer Armageddon's dlc add on's, they are good if you're really into Warhammer Armageddon, but I couldn't find much that was really 'new' other than Space Marines in three different colours (and perhaps a slightly different unit roster/stats). My main cause of regret was the fact that the dlc didn't add any new opponents, which IMO would have boosted the value of the add-ons tremendously. 

Personally, I don't have a problem with 'series' games. If I like the way a game engine plays, then I'm probably hooked for future iterations of it too. Then again if I don't like a game engine, then anything extending the series will have that same "meh!" factor that Panzer Corps holds for you.

I still get really excited when something completely 'new' and innovative comes out - even if it turns out to be the parent of a series - one that springs to mind is Rule the Waves, which is just SO different to what I'm used to - and I mean that in a good way, despite having had my a*se kicked from here to Mars by the AI in my first couple of games.  ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

-budd-

good points and your examples are certainly on point. funny those other examples never occurred to me :idiot2:. Maybe its  the engine and the design of those games using the engine. The puzzle like nature of the designs within hard time constraints that turn me off, god knows i've played enough of them. Another good point you made about liking an engine and wanting more, maybe thats why i've bought CO games 3 times and why i'm looking forward to DC3 and FPSS, same engines just more evolved and why i won't touch an AGE engine game after not getting into BOA2.You certainly made me rethink my perspective.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Cyrano

Wrapped in the warm fuzzies of my sojourn to Waterloo as I am, I feel something almost chilled and stale about hammering at this, but, seriously...when does the banality of this stop?

Milking something excellent is one thing, although it carries its own risks.

Milking the dessicated leaves dust to drink...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806