Main Menu

Can't open Steam

Started by Martok, December 15, 2017, 03:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

So ever since I got up this (Thursday) morning, my Steam client has been uncooperative.  It opens for a second or two in my toolbar, and then closes right back down again (I don't get to see the main screen showing the Store or my Library).  I've tried completely closing out of Steam and restarting, restarting my computer, re-downloading/reinstalling Steam, and every combination of the three, but with no success.  This is on a 4-year-old PC, using Windows 7. 

Any advice on what I can/should do next?  I don't know how much (or even if) it matters, but Steam finished downloading an update Wednesday night an hour or two before I went to bed. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Martok on December 15, 2017, 03:24:47 AM
So ever since I got up this (Thursday) morning, my Steam client has been uncooperative.  It opens for a second or two in my toolbar, and then closes right back down again (I don't get to see the main screen showing the Store or my Library).  I've tried completely closing out of Steam and restarting, restarting my computer, re-downloading/reinstalling Steam, and every combination of the three, but with no success.  This is on a 4-year-old PC, using Windows 7. 

Any advice on what I can/should do next?  I don't know how much (or even if) it matters, but Steam finished downloading an update Wednesday night an hour or two before I went to bed.
I allowed Steam to update yesterday and whilst I didn't go in to play any games, I was able to download the new CloD Blitz update.

So I'm afraid I'm not seeing your issue - though I will check when I get home...see if I can load a game.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Was that an update to steam itself?

And your net connection and everything is working?

The only time it happened to me I just walked away and tried again a few hours later and no problem - doesn't help much I know

undercovergeek

The steam forum says completely delete steam and resowbload and install - if the download was corrupt it'll never start up

Steams solution is

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Whereas another guy says just kill it all and redownload

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

undercovergeek

Never sit on the toilet, try and open new toilet roll and reply to martok at the same time

Barthheart

Who knew there was a word for that... must be a German term....

Martok

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2017, 04:21:25 AM
Was that an update to steam itself?

And your net connection and everything is working?

The only time it happened to me I just walked away and tried again a few hours later and no problem - doesn't help much I know
Yes, it was an update to the Steam client Wednesday night.  Although again to clarify, I'm not sure if that was the actual culprit; I simply happened to notice the coincidental timing of the update before Steam stopped firing up. 

Yep, internet connection is still working okay. 

One other odd thing I've noticed:  My Steam games that I can still access (via either the Start/Program menu or desktop shortcuts) still run when I click on them.  ???  It appears to only be the client itself that I can't get to pull up. 

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2017, 04:25:59 AM
The steam forum says completely delete steam and resowbload and install - if the download was corrupt it'll never start up

Steams solution is

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

Whereas another guy says just kill it all and redownload
Well that solution proposed by Steam is useless since, you know, I can't pull up the client.  (It's like that classic scenario where you contact tech support because your email isn't working, and in response they ask you to email them your machine's technical specs...)  ::) 

I did try uninstalling & re-downloading already, but that didn't work. 

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2017, 01:13:29 PM
Never sit on the toilet, try and open new toilet roll and reply to martok at the same time
I would not recommend this either.  :2funny: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 15, 2017, 01:13:29 PM
I'm kind of wondering how using your phone in the toilet is acceptable 😁

And also why you needed to open new toilet whilst sitting down...piss poor preparation produces piss poor performance
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

95% of my GH posts are made in the toilet - it's my go to toilet reading entertainment

And I have a 10 year old daughter, what she does with toilet roll is beyond me but I can lose four in a week