Greatest Films According To Grogs: 1980 Final Four

Started by BanzaiCat, February 22, 2018, 05:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

It's official - the Final Four of 1980 happens to be four of the five top-seeded films for the year. The Empire Strikes Back beat out Caddyshack, which is as I said when this started, no surprise. Airplane! really took out The Shining, though, and I guess that's testimony to the comedic tastes of our Grogs as opposed to their taste for hallways filled with blood and creepy twins holding hands. Come to think of it, that last part might stir a few of you.

Ahem anyway, here it is, the Final Four of 1980 as picked by you!

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs. 5

1. The Empire Strikes Back

5. The Blues Brothers

BRACKET TWO: 2 vs. 3

2. Stir Crazy

3. Airplane!

Staggerwing

Despite all the inevitable howls of "How could you!? 'Empire Strikes back' is like the 'Godfather II' of scifi movies or sumpin!", I have to go with 'The Blues Brothers' in that matchup. It's that stupid-good.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

I'm going ahead and calling this now. The spread is too significant to overcome at this point, considering the average of 12-16 votes that's been coming in. The championship will be posted momentarily! Thanks!  :notworthy: