The Holiday Sales Damage Thread

Started by airboy, November 24, 2017, 02:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

My major holiday sales purchases were a Sig Sauer P290rs on sale for $275 and a Field & Stream 24+4 gun electronic safe for $399 marked down from $700!

I did get a few games too, but I would say my total damage was under $50.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2017, 07:31:09 AM
My major holiday sales purchases were a Sig Sauer P290rs on sale for $275 and a Field & Stream 24+4 gun electronic safe for $399 marked down from $700!

ooooh...that looks punchy.

Does anyone know what Pike and Shot is like? I'm on the fence
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

^P&S is a very good game.  In truth, I haven't played it nearly as much as it derserves, but I enjoyed it and believe it was quite popular. If there was one issue, I believe it did not model the impact of leadership very well, which was a critical factor in battles of the era.

The P290rs is a very small subcompact/pocketgun. When I'm at work and not wearing a suit, I need a very small,gun that can be concealed in my pocket. Finding a good pocket gun with full size features is hard to find. I look for full sights, restrike capabaility, slide lockback after last shot, decent trigger pull, etc. not easy to find all that in a tiny package.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2017, 07:44:45 AM
^P&S is a very good game.  In truth, I haven't played it nearly as much as it derserves, but I enjoyed it and believe it was quite popular. If there was one issue, I believe it did not model the impact of leadership very well, which was a critical factor in battles of the era.

The P290rs is a very small subcompact/pocketgun. When I'm at work and not wearing a suit, I need a very small,gun that can be concealed in my pocket. Finding a good pocket gun with full size features is hard to find. I look for full sights, restrike capabaility, slide lockback after last shot, decent trigger pull, etc. not easy to find all that in a tiny package.
That statement really hit me. Just from the pov of not understanding what it would be like to know a colleague in my workplace would be carrying a gun. It's so...out of whack with my environment.

Not judging or trying to start a discussion on it. I'm aware of the discussions on gun owning and also - as a person who has shot guns before - I'm a bit jealous...I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was in the forces.

I was just pointing out how odd that statement felt to me in a country where guns aren't allowed so please don't read anything else into my post.

Thanks for the info on P&S...holiday sale is tempting me.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 25, 2017, 08:33:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2017, 07:44:45 AM

That statement really hit me. Just from the pov of not understanding what it would be like to know a colleague in my workplace would be carrying a gun. It's so...out of whack with my environment.

Not judging or trying to start a discussion on it. I'm aware of the discussions on gun owning and also - as a person who has shot guns before - I'm a bit jealous...I thoroughly enjoyed it when I was in the forces.

I was just pointing out how odd that statement felt to me in a country where guns aren't allowed so please don't read anything else into my post.

Thanks for the info on P&S...holiday sale is tempting me.

LoL. You know us crazy Americans and our guns. In lower NY where I live, you have to obtain a license to carry a concealed weapon. It's very rare particularly since  they are very difficult to obtain, requiring the license holder to demonstrate necessity. In other parts of the country concealed carry permit holders are much more common.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Crossroads

WitW Operation Torch 

Now, given the depth of that game, and that I actually want to play it (a lot), I should quit right there... Must. Resist.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Gusington

I'm about to start playing Pike and Shot Campaigns myself...IIRC there is some kind of Transylvania campaign that I have been looking forward to.

I have not bought anything on sale yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Ended up picking up TOAW IV (with printed manual obviously})  because of the 44% discount from Matrix.

Kudos to them by the way for providing such coupons. They don't often get their praises sung...less nowadays by me what with imo daft release practices and expensive games...so thank you very much Matrix  :notworthy:
Alba gu' brath

-budd-

I haven't had Pike and Shot long, 3 scenarios against the AI and about to start a fourth pbem game but I must say this is turning out to be one of my favorite purchases. The battle academy games didn't grab me with this engine but it works for Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai. Jarhead is right no leaders in PS but there modeled on SJ. The AI is quite good in PS and there are a bunch of user made stuff to download in game. I'll be playing this a long time.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 25, 2017, 10:08:39 AM
Ended up picking up TOAW IV (with printed manual obviously})  because of the 44% discount from Matrix.

Kudos to them by the way for providing such coupons. They don't often get their praises sung...less nowadays by me what with imo daft release practices and expensive games...so thank you very much Matrix  :notworthy:

Way to go JD...a little longer than I thought:)   I agree about the coupon, maybe if I use enough of them over time it will make up for the WIF disaster :)

With the latest patch, my game seems to work better so hopefully that continues and I can focus on trying to finally learn this monster.

Gusington

I really like Battle Academy so I hope that carries over to Pike and Shot.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Personally, I am still doing good with no "holiday purchases"...however prior to the sales I certainly burned some funds with various things.....few things I'll keep my eye on, but nothing at that moment that I am dying to have....but I am sure a few things will land in my cart:)

airboy

You got a good deal on the gun safe.  Do you have little ones at home now?

I'm going to go quail hunting a lot this winter.  I'm in the best quail hunting region of the world.

Cyrano

Just pieces and parts:

1.  Steel Division for my son so we can co-op.

2.  The IG expansion for Sanctus Reach.

3.  Atilla because, well, everybody seems to like it and for just over $10...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Jarhead0331

Quote from: airboy on November 25, 2017, 11:43:12 AM

You got a good deal on the gun safe.  Do you have little ones at home now?

I'm going to go quail hunting a lot this winter.  I'm in the best quail hunting region of the world.

Yes...the safe was a fantastic deal that I just couldn't pass up, even though technically I didn't absolutely need it. its got room for 24 long guns, plus a factory installed door organizer with pockets for 4 handguns.

Yes, I do have a 4 year old daughter. All of my guns are secured in safes wherever they are in my house. I have a locked gun locker in my master bedroom, as well as an electronic safe for handguns. I have another electronic safe down in my office and two large fire/water proof 500lb+ safes, as well as two more lockers in my workshop. All of these safes require a combination, or a key to access.

Have fun on the hunt!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog