Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

I have only ever played Medieval 2 and I never play the battles out.  I find them tedious and time consuming.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Unlike Destraex, I like the strategic layer.  I like building the cities so I can field larger armies and win more battles.  Now, other iterations may be more fun to play out the battles, but, I only have Rome and Shogun 2 and neither era/area really excites me enough to play.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

The TW games whose strategic layers I enjoyed least were Empire and Napoleon TW...so much anticipation and promise and so ultimately disappointing. Fall of the Samurai's campaign map is probably my favorite...it was almost like watching a beautiful, elaborate trainset.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on December 10, 2017, 08:53:18 AM
I have only ever played Medieval 2 and I never play the battles out.  I find them tedious and time consuming.

They get pretty repetitious.

I start auto-resolving anything that isn't a close fight, after a campaign has been going awhile.  Sure, I could save some losses by doing it myself, but if it's already pretty much guaranteed, then it's just wasting my time.

Destraex

Nefaro. To me that would be the game playing you rather than you playing the game. You are playing what is essentially a low level kingdom management game without the battles. To me you are skipping the core of the game. If it has become so repetitive it might be time to start a new campaign. However I know where you are coming from, you just want to fight the interesting battles. But still it seems the work is fairly onerous to get their and not worth the time.

This is why total war needs to evolve and add another layer between tactical and strategic maps. Something that allows you to manoever your army before battle and skirmish before the main battle starts. I don't just mean in the local area either. But rather a game of cat and mouse over perhaps half of italy or more. A 50% zoom into the map while on the strategic map to actually see a more detailed view and start to see where exactly each of your units is marching.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Nefaro

The series also needs to cut down on the amount of shitty siege battles.  Those must be 80% of them, and they're always annoying.

Don't care how, just do it. 

Aw, well.  I have FOG2 so if I wanna get a steady taste of the big period battles, I'll just go to that.   It's not a constant siege-fest.

As for the TW series, if it didn't have the single-player campaign, I'd never pick them up.  The real-time battles are bleh clickfests.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on December 10, 2017, 07:10:38 PM
Are there sieges in FoG2?
Zero out of the box and none in campaign. But users can make a scenario if they want.
Someone already did the battle of Alesia.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on December 10, 2017, 08:02:53 PM
Quote from: Gusington on December 10, 2017, 07:10:38 PM
Are there sieges in FoG2?
Zero out of the box and none in campaign. But users can make a scenario if they want.
Someone already did the battle of Alesia.

Some Campanians tried to take my baggage.  It was kind of like being breifly besieged. 

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on December 10, 2017, 05:35:40 PM
Nefaro. To me that would be the game playing you rather than you playing the game. You are playing what is essentially a low level kingdom management game without the battles. To me you are skipping the core of the game. If it has become so repetitive it might be time to start a new campaign. However I know where you are coming from, you just want to fight the interesting battles. But still it seems the work is fairly onerous to get their and not worth the time.

This is why total war needs to evolve and add another layer between tactical and strategic maps. Something that allows you to manoever your army before battle and skirmish before the main battle starts. I don't just mean in the local area either. But rather a game of cat and mouse over perhaps half of italy or more. A 50% zoom into the map while on the strategic map to actually see a more detailed view and start to see where exactly each of your units is marching.

That would be an awesome game and probably would not make much money compared to how good the modeling and coding would have to be to get that to work.  With the game as it is...I skip most battles unless they are sea battles or land battles with some elements of interest (such as being heavily outnumbered or a foe I haven't seen much).  Seiges...I skip them 90% of the time or more.  Which is to say at least 90% of the time, I skip them.

Gusington

I play out most of my sieges, especially when defending, because I can win against most forces that are trying to take my city unless I am very outnumbered. Also - in my recent Polish campaign in Medieval 2 TW with Stainless Steel v6.4, the AI is better and attempts to take cities at multiple points in the walls, making for better sieges all around.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: MengJiao on December 10, 2017, 08:56:30 PM

Some Campanians tried to take my baggage.  It was kind of like being breifly besieged.

Send those dirty Campanians away.  Sicily might work.

Oh, wait.  :-"

Gusington

Cool new post over at Totalwar.com by Jack Lusted on the map, factions, research and more. I would post the link but I'm on a phone.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd