Main Menu

Bomber Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, August 22, 2017, 02:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

You'll have to create a custom livery within game first and save it.  It will save to the same folder as your savegame.  Then you can open it up with something like photoshop or paint.net and replace the in-game livery you just created with something else.  I just cut and pasted some roundels from a .jpg file, resized them, and pasted them in.

BanzaiCat

Note that the folder in your Users area might be hidden, so you'll need to make sure those are visible through your system's settings (mine was hidden, though I'm debating whether I care enough about the skin color/females to futz with it, because it doesn't make a difference at all as far as gameplay is concerned that I can see, so why not).

It's hilarious that someone can crawl out on a damn wing to fix an engine or fuel tank mid flight! ;D

I had the flight engineer out there at mid-level altitude, then went down to low altitude, and watched him stumble about a bit but he stayed on the wing. That was hilarious.

I'm really enjoying this game so far.

BanzaiCat

I thought you guys had to die to get immortalized as a statue, but I guess these are your current or most recently played crew members?

What a mess! This is with the basic plane armor, too.

mirth

I'm pretty good to crawl out there on the wing and repair that engine in-flight.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Tuna

Quote from: mirth on October 21, 2017, 01:35:28 PM
I'm pretty good to crawl out there on the wing and repair that engine in-flight.

I'm thinking this means he doesn't care to much for your well being? Especially if he uses those fire extinguishing tactics like SDR where he goes into the deep dives to clear mechanics off the wing!

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 21, 2017, 01:28:58 PM

It's hilarious that someone can crawl out on a damn wing to fix an engine or fuel tank mid flight! ;D

Inspired by a real event, I suspect.

http://ww2today.com/27-april-1944-fire-fighting-on-a-lancaster-bombers-wing

BanzaiCat

At least he tried. And lived. Holy hell.  :notworthy:

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Apocalypse 31

To say I hate this game would be an understatement.  :tickedoff:

I haaaaaaaaaaaate this game. It includes two things that I absolutely despise in video games: micromanagement and grinding.

Micromanagement:
-Gunners will not engage targets unless you 'spot' them. Despite the fact that a 109 is within spitting range.

-Crew members will not put out fires in the cabin unless you direct them. In fact, crew members will catch on fire and die before they put out a fire

-Crew members will not provide medical aid to the guy dying at their feet unless you direct them.

-Pilot cannot fly a course without the player directing him.

-Bombardier cannot drop bombs unless the player does it. Nor can he take a photo of a target without the player doing it.

I feel like the entire premise goes against any sort of realism. Yes, I know this game is not trying to be real, but even in name (Bomber CREW)its trying to depict a CREW - a group of airmen working together to operate an aircraft. Realistically, there would be training and initiative with each person. A single soul wouldnt have to direct EVERYTHING within an aircraft. I would go as far as saying that operating/managing a real bomber would be easier - everyone would know their job and you would sit back and just make decisions.

I also hate grinding, which is a big part of this game. Can't equip my plane with stuff unless I reach a certain level - because why would the Air Force want its planes and crews going into combat without the best gear. Could you imagine if thats how it worked in real life? Not a single crew would've lasted long enough to upgrade to the B-25.

So frustrated with this one. I had high expectations.

Jarhead0331

I am still really enjoying this game for what it is worth, but some of its short-comings, combined with my inability to focus long enough to start learning Falcon BMS has encouraged me to start playing the Mighty 8th again. My God, what a stellar game...still to this day. I used to play this game religiously. It was one of those games where I became so connected to my crew and plane that the game started to blur with reality and I would really take injuries, losses and set-backs very personally. It truly was the "golden Age" of PC gaming.

I mean, they just built so much immersion into the game and gave the player so many options. There was so much to do on missions from pre-flight planning, to take off, ingress, attack and RTB. They could have stopped there and the game would have been a classic, but no...they still modeled fighter craft and let the player fly them. Did they stop there? Nope...they modeled squadron command and let the player take charge of that too.

There are few dated games that I loved that hold up even with their dated graphics. Well, this is one of the few. The graphics are right on the cusp of being bad by today's standards, but they manage to be just good enough, and some of the effects like tracer fire and physical damage to the plane were well ahead of their time.

Anyway, if you're down on Bomber Crew, but its got you wishing for a great bomber sim, there is already one there...just waiting for rediscovery. Give it a shot. Runs fantastic on my high-end win10 64-bit machine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

+1

And you can get it on Gog for a song......
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Con

Wow. That was 17 years ago. Played the heck out of it as well. Now why couldn't gaming companies do the same like Hollywood and churn out reboots this is a game that cries out for an updated version with all the latest eye candy.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Messing around with some nose art.  Need to clean it up a bit but I like it.

ARRRRGGHHHH!!!!   I lost my tail gunner to an enemy ace.  Was out of med kits and he bled out 1 second before we touched down.  Bye Horace..... :'(

Jarhead0331

Sad. My condolences on your loss.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

BanzaiCat

The Mighty 8th is definitely a superior/more realistic game than Bomber Crew. The issue I have with Mighty 8th is it's not intuitive at all. Though, that was utterly par for the course back then in gaming; hell, you needed a keyboard overlay for some games (like F-19 or M-1 Tank Platoon) because they were so complicated. After a while though, you get used to the key controls and don't need to look at the overlay. But, that learning curve keeps me away - I just don't have time to get into that kind of a slog these days. :( I'd like to eventually, though.

SDR: how did you get the nose art? Did you create something random, then go in to the file and replace it with something more detailed? Either that or your art skill in that drawing area is amazing.