Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 20, 2018, 09:51:51 PM
I barely understood that and I'm still like  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I actually don't like the Clanners very much, but it's absurd how much lore I've absorbed. 

I'll clarify that.  I like the concept of the Clans in the story.  It's interesting and provides a really good antithesis to the Inner Sphere's selfish feudal nightmare.   Story wise, the Clans are really necessary in Battletech to actually make the Inner Sphere sit up, take notice and drag themselves into the 31st Century and think of themselves as unified. 

But mechanically, blah.  They blew the curve on Battletech in the 80's tabletop, and kept on doing it ever since.  Worst thing that happened to Mechwarrior online was the intro of Clan OmniMechs.  Once Clan tech enters, everyone flocks to it, because why wouldn't they?  It's like choosing an F-22 to dogfight a F-4.

Very glad this game is set in the 3020's.  That's the golden age of Battletech for me.  Successor States operating at a mid 21st Century level or less.  Mechs being rare as hens teeth.  Jumpships being off limits for attack because the tech is totally lost.  Comstar controlling all communications.  Mercenaries ruling the battlefields, scavenging every scrap to keep going. 

Ah, Battletech.  How I missed you.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Nefaro

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 20, 2018, 08:51:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2018, 08:48:17 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 20, 2018, 05:49:43 PM
:'( :'(

Gus is only moist like a snack cake, now, due to his tortured tears falling on his sob-spasmed lap.

See what you did!?  You animals!

Ah!  Weak freebirths!  I'll only bid one Recon Star from my Touman in the batchall to vanquish this rabble.  A trial of annihilation at noon Quiaff?

Insufferable clanners.

We don't want no stinking Ghost Panda or Smoke Kitten nutters, from the Jonestown of the galaxy, in these parts!    :knuppel2:

Nefaro

I'm wondering how many of you old BT hands wouldn't choose House Davion as their first IS faction pick.  When you were given the choice between just the houses.

Friggin' Davion marshmallows.  Flavor of the IS century.   :P

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Nefaro on March 20, 2018, 11:40:51 PM
I'm wondering how many of you old BT hands wouldn't choose House Davion as their first IS faction pick.  When you were given the choice between just the houses.

Friggin' Davion marshmallows.  Flavor of the IS century.   :P

Guilty.  I like Davion.  I like Steiner equally though.  I was a pretty big FedCom guy back before Kat screwed it up in the story. 

Though, I'm totally down with the Marik Knights of the Inner Sphere.  Great concept, but the Marik Captain-Generals are Space-Dicks that don't hold up their side of those ideals. 

Free-Rasalhague Republic FTW
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

I actually take the above back partly.  Yeah, I like Davion.  But I looked at a few of my old painted IS Battlemechs and saw they were all pure white. 

So, yeah, ComStar.  Not the loony Word of Blake stuff.  But old school, Earth owning, high tech ComStar.  I choose you.

Gusington

Back on the dork track in this thread. Well done all.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

I am mostly with Sir D.
I like the concept of the Clanners and I liked them in MW2. But in the tabletop they can be a nuisance more often than them being a cool addition.

Also happy the initial release of BT will be pre 3050.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MetalDog

I grew up on the Succession Wars as a kid.  The Clans broke a lot of stuff in game.  The idea was pretty cool though.  And I was Davion first, Steiner second.  And I always thought that Comstar were the bad guys.  Holding the keys to communication and better Battlemechs to spread the Word of Blake.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Pinetree

Steiner

Why fight them when you can buy them?
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

JasonPratt

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 21, 2018, 11:53:27 PM
Kurita

because rules suck.

I lol'd way too hard at that.

Smoke Jaguar.

Because I like kitties; because you damned Yankees need to stop it already, and because all your base are belong to us.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: Pinetree on March 22, 2018, 01:12:05 PM
Steiner

Why fight them when you can buy them?

I thought that was Marik's thing, hyper-capitalism?

Although, admittedly, I haven't read the lore or owned the tabletop stuff for well over 10 years.  Those memories are on old worn-out gray matter backups at this point.  Travelling further down the conveyor towards the thinkmeat recycle bin.

SirAndrewD

Honestly, the groups in Battletech I always felt the most tied to were the Mercs. 

The Grey Death Legion, Kell Hounds, Wolf's Dragoons. All really awesome. 

Always loved the clandestine nature of the Dragoons, how they were all secret Clanners and went native.

Mercs are the heart of pre-Clan Invasion Battletech.  Heck they're the heart after.  Clan Wolf ended up under the leadership of a Merc, Phelan Kell (Ward) and a badass one at that.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 25, 2018, 12:50:46 AM
Clan Wolf ended up under the leadership of a Merc, Phelan Kell (Ward) and a badass one at that.

Now _that_ should be a Mechwarrior game story (if it isn't already)!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: SirAndrewD on March 25, 2018, 12:50:46 AM
Honestly, the groups in Battletech I always felt the most tied to were the Mercs. 

The Grey Death Legion, Kell Hounds, Wolf's Dragoons. All really awesome. 

Always loved the clandestine nature of the Dragoons, how they were all secret Clanners and went native.

Mercs are the heart of pre-Clan Invasion Battletech.  Heck they're the heart after.  Clan Wolf ended up under the leadership of a Merc, Phelan Kell (Ward) and a badass one at that.

irony was that Wolfs Dragoons were the clans scouts.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.