Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Watching a Brannagh SW would be amazing, even if the story is ultimately a jumble of contrivances. (See recently MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS. Not Branagh's fault per se the story ends up being goofy, but dang it looks sharp. Also, the forum engine knows how to spell Branagh. Or it did a minute ago, what's the difference...? Branagh, nope even copy-pasting it shows a mis-spelling now, but not when it's an apostrophe possessive...?)

Joss Whedon has gotten a lot flakier recently, perhaps from increasing production stress, so I'm not convinced he could do it now. Gosh, who would be a good writer/director (or team) for Star Wars anymore? ...Peter Jackson? (Not necessarily.) ... ..... GENNEDY TARTOVSKY AND BRAD BIRD!!?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

JasonPratt

Undead film arise!

10 or 15 years ago, Rian Johnson was being interviewed about what he considers a successful film. His answer? -- he'd consider it a failure if everyone loved it, and instead would consider it a success if half the people loved it and half the people thought it was the worst thing they've ever seen.

The clip starts about 1:05, doesn't last long. Everything else is reaction to it.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

The big news, however, is Lucas pretending to have been going to make his own sequel trilogy if Disney hadn't bought the property from him. After telling people years ago of course that there wasn't going to be an Episode 7 (though maybe some spin-off films). After telling people there were going to be 9 films and thus a sequel trilogy after RotJ. After making the first film the fourth episode of bleargh...

If you didn't know, Lucas has changed his mind a lot about what he was going to do with the Star Wars Franchise, if anything. (There's a whole interesting book in tracing the primary sources for how Lucas developed the original and then prequel trilogy: Kaminski's The Secret History of Star Wars. It's a great tome for anyone who likes to study story development and/or SW.)

Anyway, this year ;) after the recent debacles, Lucas has decided that he would have made Eps 7-9 himself, and it would have been about....

...the midichlorians. Which turn out to be his "Whills", the gods (in effect) which rule the SW universe and feed off the Force.

Which he's sure fans would have hated. (Maybe so!)

Here's the Mr. Sunday Movies crew, talking about it. (They're the most amusing of the reports so far that I've found.)

JasonPratt

What's extra special about this, is that that episode dates from Sept 2016!

Here's Hybrid Network from June 14 2018.

mirth

Last Jedi is on Netflix now. I rewatched it last night. I don't have hatred for it as the more rabid parts of the fan base seem to, but it's just not that good. It's definitely the weakest of the Disney releases and it doesn't inspire confidence that it's up to JJ Abrams to right the ship.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Thus why it's on Netflix so soon. Or, it could just be a Jedi Mind Trick.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2018, 07:59:28 AM
Last Jedi is on Netflix now. I rewatched it last night. I don't have hatred for it as the more rabid parts of the fan base seem to, but it's just not that good. It's definitely the weakest of the Disney releases and it doesn't inspire confidence that it's up to JJ Abrams to right the ship.

This. I just re-watched it last night, but I ended up shutting it off about 30 minutes before it ended. It's far too long, the characters are not all that engaging (Poe is probably the only one that's mildly interesting, but they've done little to develop him). Visually it's outstanding, but it's all flavorful icing on a dry and difficult to digest cake.

bob48

Quote from: BanzaiCat on June 29, 2018, 02:13:50 PM
Quote from: mirth on June 28, 2018, 07:59:28 AM

This. I just re-watched it last night, but I ended up shutting it off about 30 minutes before it ended. It's far too long, the characters are not all that engaging (Poe is probably the only one that's mildly interesting, but they've done little to develop him). Visually it's outstanding, but it's all flavorful icing on a dry and difficult to digest cake.

That's sig line material without doubt!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

being British, Bob knows all about dry and difficult to digest cake.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

That can't possibly be ALL that's wrong with this movie. There has to be more.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Oh, there is. He was pretty kind to it all things considered. But it's been chewed over so thoroughly (see some links upthread) that anything Jeremy does now will be just highlights anyway.

mirth

I share his nerd rage over the fuel.

JasonPratt

I didn't mind the fuel, but they used it inconsistently; so it was just too obviously a plot-convenience hack, fadged up to keep one particular part of the plot going. THAT I mind.