Does Forge of Freedom still hold up?

Started by sandman2575, July 08, 2014, 02:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandman2575

If there's one game that's been at the top of my backlog for years, it's Forge of Freedom.  I read the manual at some point, dabbled with some campaigns, but never really got anything going.

With all the threads about Ageod's Civil War II, Ultimate General, etc. etc., I'm itchin' to get into some War Between the States action.

Fellow grogheads:  is FoF still your 'go to' Civil War game?

Some things intrigue me about the Ageod game but there are a few things that always keep me away from Ageod titles (with the great exception of WWI Gold).  The map and unit art excepted, I truly hate the bland UI (plus the cities with the little waving flags drive me crazy). Even more, I hate Ageod's 'hands off' combat system. So I'm disinclined to dive in on Civil War II, despite some of the glowing comments I read from knowledgeable folks around here.

So what do you think?  Does FoF (released in 2006!!) still have mileage left in it?  Or am I better off biting the bullet and trying to get over my Ageod aversion?

Grim.Reaper

I am big civil war fan but could never get I to this game. Others thought it was great so maybe just me:)

Skoop

Forge of freedom is the only civil war strategy game that I have done multiple campaign play throughs.  It's the HOI of civil war, by that I mean it's the best for what if history or alternative path history.  The battle system is just simple hex combat, but it works.  The devs are developing the brother against brother game at matrix, which sounds like FOF with no strategy layer but a more in depth tactical game.  I would have rather them kept the strategy layer and just redid the tactical game, but a FOF 2 might still be made after release of brother against brother.

WallysWorld

I really liked the game and its depth. What had me finally delete the game from my hard drive was the fixed low resolution window. If Matrix would update this game to widescreen, it would be great.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Rayfer

Until ACW2 came out, FoF was my go-to grand strategy Civil War game.  There is a wide range of complexity options allowing you to pick and choose what you want the ai to control and the level of micro-management that suits your style of play.  Battles can be fought 3 different ways, each one with an increase in complexity and time required to resolve. 

SirAndrewD

It's a great game.  I was highly addicted to it after its release. 

My only complaints are the screen resolution, and the tactical battles. 

While the tactical layer is fun, I really felt it wouldn't have been hard to put an Age of Rifles/CWG 2 style approach rather than the system they chose to use.  If they'd gone that route, I don't think I'd ever take the game off my hard drive. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Grim.Reaper

I must have been in the minority, maybe I need to try again...just don't recall it being as fun as being described:(

sandman2575

FoF's outdated screen resolution doesn't bother me so much.  Yes the UI shows its age and could use updating, but overall I don't find it an obstacle to enjoying the game.  It still seems a damn sight better -- more flavor and style -- than the Ageod interface.  (The UI of ACW the Blue and the Gray has a ton more character and visual interest -- why Ageod eliminated those touches in the sequel is beyond me).

The fact that Brother Against Brother will not have a strategic layer makes me sad. I hope a true Forge of Freedom 2 will still be realized at some point.

I'd be interested to hear more about why folks find Ageod's ACW2 superior to FoF.  The inability to have any tactical input into how combat plays out in Ageod games is just such a deal breaker for me.

Rayfer

ACW2, which I now enjoy over FoF, does have a new feature where you can set up up armies into flanks and decide an overall strategy before the battle starts. The ACW2 map is much larger and does a better job displaying the critical areas, i.e. the Shenandoah Valley. The UI is very similar to earlier Ageod games. 

sandman2575

Good to know, Rayfer.  I may have to give ACW2 a shot.  I've been playing FoF the last few nights and, while there much I love about the game's depth and overall concept, the low-res UI is bugging me more than I thought it would.

Skoop

Give a look at the matrix FOF forums, might be a work around for the screen res.  Maybe an edit of some text files to force the screen res. 

bbmike

FoF stays on my hard drive always. I absolutely love the tactical battles and the strategic game isn't bad either. There are a ton of options you can set. I also love ACW2. Highly recommend both if you like ACW games.
FoF runs in full screen for me (1920x1080) and I think it looks great. But graphics aren't that important to me if a game is good.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2014, 05:45:03 PM
I must have been in the minority, maybe I need to try again...just don't recall it being as fun as being described:(

I am with you Grim Reaper. I never really got into this game, and I do consider the AGEOD's American Civil War to be a greatly superior experience, both in single and multi-player.

I never understood the supply system in FOF, and I usually found it very difficult to understand why things were happening (or not happening) at the strategic/operational level. FOF has a tactical layer, but I found there was very little point to the tactical layer when the AI was so poor (a hallmark of the "series" I do remember that the AI in Crown of Glory wasn't precisely the strongest ever). My major gripe with the tactical layer, nevertheless, was the activation system in place: I'd have expected it to allow me to activate Divisions or Corps, rather than single regiments/brigades (if I recall correctly). It was kind of difficult to coordinate forces that historically usually acted in a concerted fashion.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bletchley_Geek on July 10, 2014, 08:14:51 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 08, 2014, 05:45:03 PM

I am with you Grim Reaper. I never really got into this game, and I do consider the AGEOD's American Civil War to be a greatly superior experience, both in single and multi-player.

I never understood the supply system in FOF, and I usually found it very difficult to understand why things were happening (or not happening) at the strategic/operational level. FOF has a tactical layer, but I found there was very little point to the tactical layer when the AI was so poor (a hallmark of the "series" I do remember that the AI in Crown of Glory wasn't precisely the strongest ever). My major gripe with the tactical layer, nevertheless, was the activation system in place: I'd have expected it to allow me to activate Divisions or Corps, rather than single regiments/brigades (if I recall correctly). It was kind of difficult to coordinate forces that historically usually acted in a concerted fashion.

Which was strange for me since I thought I would love it.....I remember waiting for the release sitting by my computer with huge anticipation...downloaded and was like...hmmm....that's it?

I really thought it was going to be the definitive CW game for me, just something about the game mechanics did not click with me....

Bletchley_Geek

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 10, 2014, 08:21:48 PM
Which was strange for me since I thought I would love it.....I remember waiting for the release sitting by my computer with huge anticipation...downloaded and was like...hmmm....that's it?

I really thought it was going to be the definitive CW game for me, just something about the game mechanics did not click with me....

I need also to say that there were quite a few patches, but I must admit I never went back to it after summer of 2007. I was playing AGEOD's by then :)