I am banned from the forums on my Surface Go Chrome browser

Started by DoctorQuest, June 28, 2019, 07:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorQuest

Let me know if I should be posting this elsewhere or if I need to PM someone.

The forums work fine on any other computer I use but for some reason when I click on any forum topic when using my Surface Go I get message saying I am banned (by name: DoctorQuest) and the ban is non-expiring. I tried clearing cache and history (I thought) but to no avail.

I don't recall doing anything wacky  :uglystupid2: on that rig and I don't really remember when I first encountered it. I have not had the Surface for that long.

Any ideas??
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

That is bizarre. Just checked your profile and it is clean. Ghost in the machine?  >:D

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

What I see is..... The following is verbatim

An Error Has Occurred!

Sorry DoctorQuest, you are banned from using this forum!
on spammer hotlist
The ban is not set to expire.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

airboy

DoctorQuest

Gusington

Truly bizarre. Your account is 100% unbanned and clean on this side.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Could the Surface Go being using a different ip address than you normally use to access the forum?

There are two or three large anti-spam/anti-virus screeners used by internet service providers (they aren't anything users would normally recognize) to block some exchanges from even getting to the receiving end once an ip or email address has been flagged as a virus-base. I have a couple of customers this has happened to, and while they can receive emails from me, and while their emails will go through other isps, their accounts are blacklisted on the industrial-grade spam-blocker used by my isp. Once that happens, it can be nearly impossible to ever get the account whitelisted again -- and I've tried! (Because I like profit and so I want my customers to be able to send me orders and/or quote requests!)

It's hard to believe that those background things do any good at all, considering how much garbage still gets through, but the situation testifies to just how-unbelievably-much the internet is infested with toxic feeds. It's a tragedy when victim-accounts get taken down with the evildoers as collateral damage, but it does happen.

I can't be sure that this is the same situation, but the characteristics sound practical identical (aside from you not sending emails, only trying to access, but the same result would happen).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DoctorQuest

The IP address is what I am suspecting might be the problem. Or my MAC address.

The message definitely seems to come from the forum software.

Let's not sweat it too much tonight. I have plenty of other ways to get to the forums.

I may try to renew my IP configuration....