Main Menu

GrogCast Season 5!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 07, 2017, 07:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: Crossroads on September 30, 2017, 07:18:40 AM
Thanks for the latest guys. Great topics! I forgot to do the drinking first, so actually paid attention ... On the other hand, just had a wisdom tooth pulled out, still on strong painkillers, maybe that did the trick?

Games that need they graphics updated

I am a Finn, we've got 100 words for 'snow' as well, so I'd go for any series that depict an era with all seasons, but don't have snow versions of the mapboard. I really like the new LnL Nations At War mapboards for instance, two sided, and normal, and snowed in. Nothing turns me down like playing a winter scenario on a normal map.  L:-)

Games with superb graphics

As for the maps, I've gotta go for COH Guadalcanal as well. Especially the beach mapboard is outstanding. They've really done a great job as you guys said: maps that look great but don't interfere with counters. I don't own Guadalcanal, but do have the AtB 2nd Ed with the new maps, together with PoH which looks great too. A great series from this point of view (too!). Manuals, counters, maps, really great stuff. A special shout for the new LnL NaW maps too.

I had not looked at Liberty Roads counters, but agree there as well. Nothing like a little role playing when gaming, and unique counters / formations are just that.

Restarting a game series

With the little time I have for boardgaming, World at War's really grown into me. I really liked the old counters with their retro font. They are a bit of a pain to read, but looking that awesome, I'm not complaining. I recall the old maps were quite awful when I looked at them at the net before buying my first game, but when playing, they are really functional so no complains there either.

Of the box sets I own Eisenbach Gap, Death of First Panzer and Blood and Bridges, so missing only Op Garbo and Untold Stories. With the restart, I'll probably not go for those titles (or their new bundles as they are), but will definitively buy the When the Lion Roars (Arab-Israeli Wars) when it comes out. The new art looks absolutely great though, so I wouldn't be surprised seeing myself buying into them later.

My 0.02 for restarts, for sure

Command and control on the battlefield

Agreed here too. It can be done quite easily so why not. World at War at platoon scale for instance expects the formation HQ to be within few hexes of everyone, otherwise there's severe penalties. No excuse for not modeling this.  :knuppel2:

Good replies/thoughts.

And I'm sure the painkillers helped get you through it. ;)
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Crossroads

Quote from: mirth on October 01, 2017, 08:10:24 AM

Good replies/thoughts.

And I'm sure the painkillers helped get you through it. ;)

Thanks! And, next time I'll do both: painkillers AND booze  O:-)
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Staggerwing

Keep some Naloxone handy, just in case. Don't want to spoil a good wargaming session...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Crossroads

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 01, 2017, 10:20:20 AM
Keep some Naloxone handy, just in case. Don't want to spoil a good wargaming session...

I was prescribed ibuprofen, don't think that will be needed  O:-)

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

Talking game catalogs, and travels & battles, and museums, in this week's GrogCast

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Last episode of season 5 is live :)

Crossroads

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 20, 2017, 06:44:30 AM
Last episode of season 5 is live :)

Thanks for the season guys  :)

My oldest d6 set that I've had since the beginning are from the AH Panzer Leader copy I bought in 1983. The oldest d6 I've bought since is from my original 1961 copy of AH D-Day that I bought from BGG marketplace. Those predate my birth by a good few years, so I am still in the middle of coming up with a story as how I'd had them from the go...

On another note: Maltese Falcon  :smitten:

SofaKings

New to the grogcast but it is very enjoyable!  Keep up the good work.  Tell Jim to take a breath now and then.  I worry for his health!  :)

bayonetbrant

thanks - glad you enjoyed it :)

MetalDog

Glad you enjoyed it!  Tell your friends! ;)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

mirth

bob48

I had one of those once, but the leg fell off.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!