Open source sound files for aircraft, gunfire, explosions, etc?

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, June 13, 2018, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I recently picked up a mobile game covering the Guadalcanal air/naval campaign.  It's pretty good but very spartan.  No sounds whatsoever.  I emailed the dev and he said he'd be more than willing to add sounds in but can't afford licensing fees.  Anyone know of any decent open source sounds for aircraft, bombs, MGs, ship's klaxons, etc?  I did a quick seach for open source files and found a few but they were lo-fidelity or had voice overs and the like.

Staggerwing

What about sampling movies that are in the public domain?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Destraex

It's funny that sounds from things that have no copyright become copyright as soon as somebody records them.
You would think that such iconic historical sounds would be fair use because the weapons themselves are so old and government produced.
Oh well.

How about grabbing some sounds from very old war footage. Plenty of that on youtube.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Pete Dero

Are the sounds (mostly wav files) included in the Steel Panthers games (MBT, WW2 & WAW) free to use ?

Nefaro

Isn't it a requirement to use the 'Wilhelm Scream' in these cases?   :))

Queeg

Perhaps try the various sound mods for Combat Mission. 

Philippe

Are we talking about making a mod or making a commercial game?

There are plenty of places you can go for mod material.

But sound files that end up in a commercial game are a whole different kettle of fish.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Philippe

This is the kind of thing that Volcano Man probably knows off the top of his head.  You should get in touch with Ed Williams -- send a nice e-mail to Rich Hamilton at JTS (and he might also know what you're looking for) and ask him to forward it.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.