Main Menu

Steam...what?

Started by steve58, February 07, 2019, 12:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So I fired up Steam today.  Don't think anything is really wrong, but 44 items to download/update?  Usually 2-3, maybe 10 or so if its been a long time off Steam.  Most finished immediately as it shows 0 bytes/0 bytes for the download.  Anyone else see anything similar?  ???
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

JasonPratt

I've been seeing this for several months. It comes and goes, including last week (for me).

The story I've heard sounded faintly plausible, but I don't recall the details. It's an issue that Steam knows about and is trying to work out, a neutral code problem with updating. There isn't any real update, but the games are triggering an automatic update check or something like that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Pete Dero

Quote from: steve58 on February 07, 2019, 12:43:09 PM
So I fired up Steam today.  Don't think anything is really wrong, but 44 items to download/update?  Usually 2-3, maybe 10 or so if its been a long time off Steam.  Most finished immediately as it shows 0 bytes/0 bytes for the download.  Anyone else see anything similar?  ???

Last week around 120 games 'needed' an update ...

Gusington

For a few months my games would not update on their own unless I 'woke' Steam up by uploading pics or downloading mods or similar. Then the updates would begin. Last week all of a sudden I had 45+ titles that needed updating at once. Since then updates have been happening normally.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

It is rather common. I experience this fairly often.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I also experienced this last week for the very first time in all my years as a Steam member.  I freaked at first, got annoyed quickly thereafter, then before I could get violent all 60 of my items were downloaded and completed. 

I was scared but not after reading that I'm not the only one to experience this.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Happens to me periodically

Ian C

Read on STEAM that it's STEAM changing some of its file systems. Nothing to be concerned about.

bbmike

What sucks for me is that for some reason Steam is now scheduling my updates for the next day. I have to manually click on each one to update now.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

W8taminute

Quote from: bbmike on February 07, 2019, 06:26:05 PM
What sucks for me is that for some reason Steam is now scheduling my updates for the next day. I have to manually click on each one to update now.

I've been seeing that now for at least the past 6 months.  If you leave those updates alone they will automatically execute the next day.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

That was also happening to me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on February 07, 2019, 06:37:55 PM
Quote from: bbmike on February 07, 2019, 06:26:05 PM

I've been seeing that now for at least the past 6 months.  If you leave those updates alone they will automatically execute the next day.

I'd say for the past 18 months at least! -- but I understand the idea of trying to balance their output access.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 07, 2019, 01:07:52 PM
Last week around 120 games 'needed' an update ...

I'm glad I only have a few games installed. Why don't you clean it up? Surely you don't play all of them.

Destraex

I see this all the time now (once a month or so). Like steam is regularly streamlining their hosting servers and files. Thus the update would be little more than a slight change to a text file in most cases.
I also got the scheduled to next day and assume this is something that happens when the servers are busy and you are updating nothing you regularly play.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FarAway Sooner

Yeah.  I saw this regularly about six months back, then it went away, then it came back just the other day.

I've adopted a new rule of thumb:  If Steam says that I have more than 5 Downloads, I don't worry about any of them.  They'll be fast whenever they happen, but they're probably not patches from the game developers and they won't affect my game play.

It's annoying, but at the end of the day the only real problem is that if there is a real update buried in that queue I'll miss it.