Ringling Bros Circus Closing Down

Started by bayonetbrant, January 15, 2017, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

permanently

https://www.apnews.com/020bc7b2f16f4446ade338bcf4a500ed

QuoteAfter 146 years, the curtain is coming down on "The Greatest Show on Earth." The owner of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus told The Associated Press that the show will close forever in May.

The iconic American spectacle was felled by a variety of factors, company executives say. Declining attendance combined with high operating costs, along with changing public tastes and prolonged battles with animal rights groups all contributed to its demise.

"There isn't any one thing," said Kenneth Feld, chairman and CEO of Feld Entertainment. "This has been a very difficult decision for me and for the entire family."

The company broke the news to circus employees Saturday night after shows in Orlando and Miami.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

That is too bad.  :(

So far 2017 isn't showing much promise.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Depressing. I don't even like circuses but this still is...depressing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

Have great memories of seeing the Ringling Brothers circus when I was a kid.  Gunther Gebel-Williams, the famous lion tamer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_Gebel-Williams , did his show.  Pretty amazing to a ten year old.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Grim.Reaper

Not a big fan of circus either, but still tough to see it go away after being around so long....

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

My wife and I went to their museum in Sarasota, Fl. this past September. It's a great place to see but the show itself had been struggling for years to stay financially stable and it's end was probably unavoidable. Too bad. I hope they find someplace really nice to put all the animals in the show.  :'(  But if not, should be one hell of a Bar-B-Q after the last show.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

jamus34

Insert witty comment here.

Windigo

*cough* thread title spelling *cough* *cough*

Ringling, not Ringing.

L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-) L:-)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Emeraldlis

So sad , end of an era ......and where do unemployed clowns go anyhow  ???
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Emeraldlis

Quote from: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2017, 04:08:22 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 17, 2017, 04:06:18 PMand where do unemployed clowns go anyhow  ???

Congress / Parliament

:2funny:.......does that mean we get to throw custard pies at them !!!! ;D oh the joy ....I'd definately want to see that  :D
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

besilarius

Nah!  Feral clowns are released into wooded areas near grade schools.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Sir Slash

The female workers shouldn't have too hard a time getting work. I understand they all have a 'Big Top'.  :DD
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 17, 2017, 04:06:18 PM
So sad , end of an era ......and where do unemployed clowns go anyhow  ???

They're ushered straight into Hell.