Lord Help Me... I'm going to paint minis!

Started by son_of_montfort, September 11, 2012, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

Ok, so here is what I did today.

I had already sprayed several of my minis from a boardgame called A Touch of Evil with a coat of white Privateer Formula P3 Primer. I choose white because I wanted my paint to pop with color, rather than have the gritty Warhammer 40K look (Games Workshop tends to suggest black or dark primer). I have a ton of minis in boardgames I own (and my Descent Second Edition minis will be my main project once I get more practice). I picked the Touch of Evil minis because I'm not a huge fan of the game and I felt I could practice without too much stress. Nothing some Simple Green or Pine-Sol can't fix, right?

Because I was doing this on the cheap, I picked up water-based acrylics at my local craft store, the type my wife would use for regular crafts. I could not find any water-based enamels and I was not going to spend $3-$5 a pot for the Games Workshop colors.

I picked a mini that had a little less detail on her, as she was wearing a long dress and a flowing shirt, carrying a book and a flintlock. I did not want to start with the pirate lady, who has a scarf, a busty chest popping out of a blouse with gold buttons and loads of tiny details. The lady I choose is a simple librarian.

I diluted my acrylics until they were about the consistency of whole milk (per some sites and the Coolornotmini guide). One problem I did have was inconsistent application of paint, but I think this might get better when I learn more brush control. Some areas got more paint while other got less. Multiple coats made this look better, but I still think that I could have been more uniform in my painting. It did give the mini a bit of a textured look, so it wasn't all bad.

After the base coat, I mixed my own washes by adding a little black paint to the basecoat color and diluting until the mixture was translucent and watery. I found this worked pretty well, but I probably need to be more patient and let my basecoats dry a bit more before washing. Still, the wash did what it was supposed to do and darkened the pits on the mini. After that, I added a little white to the basecoat color and used this as a drybrush. I'm not sure my drybrush technique is quite down, because I only detected the most miniscule effect. Still, I think there was some highlighting

Her face and hands were the roughest area. Unlike some minis, these minis have very little detail on their faces. No eyes, barely a mouth and the face is tiny. So I did not feel like I got to highlight the shadows on the skin very well and she has no lips or eyes. Not a huge thing, but I was disappointed that I couldn't get the effect I wanted there.

All in all, I'm proud of how she turned out. I expected my first foray to be a disaster and the mini to look like a primary color clown. But the shading worked well, the paint diluted and blended well, and the colors look pretty good. I will post a picture once I have better lighting in the morning.

The one thing I am concerned about now is that she will certainly need a coat of matte sealant. I bought some of the Games Workshop sealant, but I have read that it can leave white flecks and the can makes it seem like the contents are some form of biological mutagenic toxic sludge. So I'm worried about the cancer and poison warnings. I may pick up a can of Trucote matte finish, which I see gets better reviews and does not leave the same white flecks.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

TheCommandTent

Make sure if you spray the matte sealant that you spray it and let it dry in a place with absolutely zero humidity or you will get the horrible white frost of death all over your mini.

Oh and did we mention we want pictures.   ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Toonces

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Also, as the proud owner of about 100 new pewter minis I'm closely following this thread...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 13, 2012, 12:53:52 PM

Also, as the proud owner of about 100 new pewter minis I'm closely following this thread...

100 pewter minis? What kind (as in, what era)?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on September 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM

+1  You can't just tease with that we need details!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on September 13, 2012, 01:02:10 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 13, 2012, 01:01:33 PM

+1  You can't just tease with that we need details!

It is possible for someone to pick up a pack of five or ten pewter minis on a whim. 100 means there is forethought and planning. We need to know who this lurking minis player is.

Toonces

Ah crap, maybe they're not pewter but lead.  I don't know, some kind of metal.

The way you all are going on, it leads me to believe that there is a difference...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Toonces on September 13, 2012, 02:04:51 PM

The way you all are going on, it leads me to believe that there is a difference...

Now you are just toying with us.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 13, 2012, 02:04:51 PM

They're not lead unless they're 30 years old or your bought them in China.

And I'm starting to think Toonces is working on an early April Fool's joke as The Tent has pointed out.

That, or Toonces was on a bender in Bangkok and bought the Collector's Edition of 100 Best Homoerotic Miniatures of 2008. I hear that year was a good release if you're into that stuff.

Toonces

Ok, ok enough is enough.  I just took a bunch of pictures but I have to wait until my wife gets home to upload them.  I'm going to go surfing and then go to the windward mall and see if I can find some paints.  They actually sell model paints in the Koolau Pets store in the mall if you can believe that, and I don't know of another hobby shop on the island!

I'm going to be out that way anyway, so it's two birds with one stone sort of thing.  Then I'll come back and post some pictures in the Hind Commander thread.

LongBlade

Quote from: Toonces on September 13, 2012, 02:41:53 PM
Ok, ok enough is enough.  I just took a bunch of pictures but I have to wait until my wife gets home to upload them.  I'm going to go surfing and then go to the windward mall and see if I can find some paints.  They actually sell model paints in the Koolau Pets store in the mall if you can believe that, and I don't know of another hobby shop on the island!

I'm going to be out that way anyway, so it's two birds with one stone sort of thing.  Then I'll come back and post some pictures in the Hind Commander thread.

Heh.

The easiest way to find paint will be to http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ and look for a store. If there's one near (it doesn't have to be a GW company store, it can be a hobby store) it's guaranteed that if they sell GW minis, they sell GW paint.

Keep in mind, GW just revamped their paint and now offers over 100 options. Best to ask the folks in the store questions before you come back with your favorite colors and find out they're all textures and washes.  ???

son_of_montfort

OK, here is my first mini ever painted.

In artificial light:

Sunlight:

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

son_of_montfort

Please note that she always had that "half the face gone" look, that was part of the lack of detail on the mini itself.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys