Microsoft's "Surface"

Started by LongBlade, June 18, 2012, 09:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

OK, let's hope the device is better than the name.

Then again, it's better than "iPad."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/18/microsoft-unveils-urface-tablet/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Wasn't 'Surface' the same name they gave their $10,000 proof-of-concept-touch-screen-built-into-the-tabletop computer two or three years ago?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

meadbelly

I'm curious if they are going to go the Apple / Amazon route and subsidize the Surface. For someone who will be shopping for a new Win8 portable device, I am thoroughly in support of that notion. They probably won't decide based on that, tho. Silly non-solipsarians.

I suspect not -- it might irritate win8 hardware mfgs/partners like Asus, MSI, Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc.

Edited to add that a MSFT employee with no insider knowledge of Surface suspects it will be subsidized to an ipadish level, and this will prolly not irritate hardware partners as they a) get to make the Surface hardware, and b) MSFT is leaving the traditional pc/laptop/ultrabook market to them. Not sure how much I believe the hardware mfgs are thrilled with that traditional market. (MSFT buddy also hates the name.)

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on June 18, 2012, 09:36:18 PM
OK, let's hope the device is better than the name.

Then again, it's better than "iPad."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/18/microsoft-unveils-urface-tablet/

And iPad is better than iWipe
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

meadbelly

^Which are both better than "iMtooSexyforMySurface", "iPeripatetic", or "Cletus."

meadbelly

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 18, 2012, 09:46:08 PM
Wasn't 'Surface' the same name they gave their $10,000 proof-of-concept-touch-screen-built-into-the-tabletop computer two or three years ago?

Staggerwing is correct!:

"Panos Panay, general manager of Microsoft Surface, said the name of Surface comes from idea of the hardware fading into the background so that the software can shine.

It's also the name of a table-size device the company developed and markets in which users interact with content on a big, touch-sensitive screen."

from

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2018468576_microsoftsurface19.html

OJsDad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as the specs stand now, there is no 3g/4g option.  I'll be interested to see if MS adds this feature next year and if the wireless providers pick it up.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

W8taminute

I agree that the name is a little bit effeminate, but the device itself looks promising.  As an iPad owner I'm curious to see what MS entry to the tablet market is.  I'm not really impressed with Samsungs devices so let's see.

Good point OJsDad but maybe MS is playing it safe an only offering WiFi versions to see if this product is going to do well?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

OJsDad

Quote from: W8taminute on June 21, 2012, 03:20:33 PM
Good point OJsDad but maybe MS is playing it safe an only offering WiFi versions to see if this product is going to do well?

Of course, with the high cost and low caps that the wireless telco call plans and the growing number of free hotspots, there may not really be a need to have a 3g/4g capability.  And if you really need it, you can get a USB card and plug it in.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.