Facebook Won't Survive The Decade?

Started by LongBlade, May 24, 2012, 09:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

2 key things for me that make FB useful (note- not indispensable)

1. Mobile integration - I can throw photos online from anywhere, usually within seconds of taking them.  I can get updates out on things like sports events (when the kid is playing in a soccer tournament, for example).  I will occasionally check in from places, but more often, it's about getting a photo out there while on-the-go.

2.  Ease of sharing things I like from elsewhere.  Someone has a funny photo?  Hit "share".  No hunting for image URLs and cutting & pasting and formatting HTML, trying to manage blog postings and getting people to read stuff.  Post a photo or a link and let FB handle the annoying under-the-hood stuff.

Yes, there's stupidity there. There's stupidity everywhere online.  But they've made much of the stupidity convenient to ignore while making some key useful features very, very easy to use.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

I really don't like Facebook, but I'm more or less forced to use it because all my friends and family do.  I never install apps on it though.

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 24, 2012, 09:39:54 AM
I'm surprised that something else hasn't come along put Facebook in the back seat with Myspace.

There are alternatives.  I never know whether to recommend Diaspora to people or not.  On one hand, I like it a lot and it's all about privacy - the very antithesis of Facebook.  On the other hand, it's still in heavy development and can be kinda buggy.

Quote from: spelk on May 24, 2012, 06:59:56 PM
I thought Google+ was where all the cool kids hang these days.. when I say "kids" I mean, old geeks. :)

G+ is dying a swift death, apparently.

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2012, 06:57:43 PM
CNN  Newsfeed says there are a number of folks suing FB and Zuckerberg in relation to the stock release, alleging that they conspired to 'hide' info relevant to the stock's worth.

Yup, I've been following this.

The IPO launch was bungled by the NASDAQ. I don't really know all the details other than reports say that some orders weren't executed timely or at the correct price.

Compounding the issue is that the issuing bank allegedly tipped off some insiders that the $38 price wasn't worth $38, ergo there may have been some insider trading.

Add that to the article above and I'm feeling reasonably celebratory that I avoided it. Last I looked it was selling with a price to earnings ratio of something like 99:1. There are a few stocks which seem to support that kind of crazy level, but I avoid them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: spelk on May 25, 2012, 01:46:12 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 24, 2012, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: spelk on May 24, 2012, 07:01:24 PM
Like http://www.friendsreunited.com/ ?

Huh.

It might have been only big in the UK, I guess. It was very popular here for a time, long before the advent of Facebook. It was the only way at one time to find friends from school, and they grew very big, and then flopped spectacularly - probably around the time of Facebook coming onto the scene. Anyway, they've been trying to stay in the zone for years now, and hardly anyone uses them anymore.

i remember them - like you say they went massive, i believe ITV bought them, and threw a load of sponsorship at them - almost every advert break was sponsored by Friends Reunited - and then POP - they disappeared - made lots of ££ for the founder though

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on May 25, 2012, 08:40:18 AM

Add that to the article above and I'm feeling reasonably celebratory that I avoided it. Last I looked it was selling with a price to earnings ratio of something like 99:1. There are a few stocks which seem to support that kind of crazy level, but I avoid them.

Its about separating suckas from their money at those valuations.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598