Any games with a dynamic open-world campaign?

Started by Apocalypse 31, April 19, 2017, 08:31:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apocalypse 31

There's an older helicopter game called Enemy Engaged: Comanche vs Hokum that has a continuous open-world mode where two coalitions are duking it out. The player can contribute by conducting various types of missions that enable to AI ground forces to advance.

From the SimHQ Wiki
QuoteThe player pilots an attack helicopter inside a dynamic campaign. Instead of being confined to separate pre-defined "missions" like in so many other simulation games, it is possible to see the battle unfold across the entire battlefield in real time, without "load times" during missions. Your tasks in the game range from attack missions on enemy bases, FARPs and vehicles, close air support or interdiction of enemy air defenses, recon-missions to obtain photographic intelligence, down to simple transfer missions to replenish your forces.

I've heard Falcon 4.0 has something similar, but wondering if anything else is out there? Both games are a little older; EECH, especially, hasn't aged very well.

Toonces

Falcon 4.0 is the gold standard that you're looking for.  It runs in real time, is very robust, and is straight up dynamic.  The BMS version is amazing, and has taken the original and improved it so much that it's barely recognizable.

To some extent, Wings Over Flanders Fields is dynamic, but it is not real time.  However, the missions are generated based on the activity on the front and are not scripted.  I've never lived long enough to see how the front moves, but I understand that it does.

The old IL-2 is dynamic to some extent, but not to the degree that Falcon 4 or WOFF are.  Better than scripted missions, but it's a poor man's dynamic campaign.

The Wings Over Vietnam/Europe/North Atlantic/etc. are somewhat dynamic.  Again, missions generated based on success and failure, persistent damage to resources between missions, etc., but not real time, and nowhere near as robust as Falcon.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

BMS Falcon holds up very well, despite its age.  Watch a few YouTube videos of the newest version 4.33.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what the community has accomplished. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Apocalypse 31

Thanks for the detailed reply!

My fault for not being specific, but anything not a flight sim?

Toonces

I'm not sure what you're asking, then.

All of the Total War titles are dynamic.  Crusader Kings 2, the EU series, etc. are dynamic. 

Mount and Blade is dynamic.

The Steel Armor games have a dynamic campaign layer.

And so on.

Apocalypse 31

I think what I'm asking has not been made.

Would love to play the EECH dynamic campaign, but with the  ability to control and play as ground forces.

Bison

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

MikeGER

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 19, 2017, 10:22:09 AM

Would love to play the EECH dynamic campaign, but with the  ability to control and play as ground forces.

IIRC there are several ARMA 3 user made mods/modules out where a persistant war is going on and you can pick missions to participate in different roles  ...i dont have first hand knowledge/experience  just remember reading about them

undercovergeek

There's a sci fi FPS forget it's name - planet side? Where the war is always raging whether you're playing or not, lots of different classes and the like

Skoop

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on April 19, 2017, 10:22:09 AM

There's dynamic missions in Dcs that run off scripting that are ment for multiplayer but can be run in sp.  You could control and crew the ground forces with the combined arms module.

Toonces

^ Yep.

And I was also thinking of ARMA 3, but I also don't have too much experience actually playing the dynamic scenarios either.