New Weekly Column - "What's Gus Playing (This Week)?"

Started by bayonetbrant, October 02, 2017, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

It's the same one as last week...I sent you another one on ASSCREED: Rogue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Sir Slash

Or the ganstah version, AssHo. "You Ho's want sum creed or what"?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

When you going to do a "Gus plays Total War Warhammer"? Cause I just started it and I could use some tips-- bad or good.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Can I be honest with you? I fired it up a few days ago and was just 'this leaves me cold.' I was set to really dig in but just could not get excited. I think that once I actually start playing that may change. I am going to try work it in to my current Viking gaming and reading kick and play as Norsca as my first faction but from afar TW Warhammer doesn't moisten the old loins the way the historical games do. I'm hoping that actually starting a campaign changes that. I'm also very curious about the Mortal Empires campaign but don't wanna drop the cash if I wind up hating it.

Clearly I have given this some thought...too much :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Barely scratched the surface myself, Dwarves for an 'easy' intro. Close enough to previous titles to play without a lot of new stuff to learn but just a more fantasy take on things. I think the real difference will be the 'evil' factions able to recruit monsters and spreading corruption and chaos. So far the Advisory Tips are very helpful at easing you into the new stuff.

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on December 27, 2017, 02:24:10 PM
Can I be honest with you? I fired it up a few days ago and was just 'this leaves me cold.' I was set to really dig in but just could not get excited. I think that once I actually start playing that may change. I am going to try work it in to my current Viking gaming and reading kick and play as Norsca as my first faction but from afar TW Warhammer doesn't moisten the old loins the way the historical games do. I'm hoping that actually starting a campaign changes that. I'm also very curious about the Mortal Empires campaign but don't wanna drop the cash if I wind up hating it.

Clearly I have given this some thought...too much :/
I think your self-assessment is pretty spot-on, Gus -- both in that you're over-thinking things, but also in that you'll start to enjoy the game if you simply dive in and actually start playing it. 

A bit of advice:  Ignore all the hype, and set aside your expectations; that's what I did.  I fear you may be under the burden of trying to force yourself to like a game just because so many others (including myself) have lavished praise on it.  Don't place yourself under that burden. 

Just play the game, and take it as it is.  You'll either enjoy it, or you won't.  I suspect you will, but that won't happen if you're pressuring yourself (consciously or unconsciously) to do so.  :) 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^Is...is that the smell of reason? We can't have that here.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

No. That's my new cologne, Au-De-Sen-Sible. By J.C. Penny.  :clap:

trailrunner

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 28, 2017, 07:24:41 PM
No. That's my new cologne, Au-De-Sen-Sible. By J.C. Penny.  :clap:

Are you sure it's not from J. C. Whitney?