New Weekly Column - "What's Gus Playing (This Week)?"

Started by bayonetbrant, October 02, 2017, 08:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Cockles are hard to get working on a Monday after a major holiday. They're usually hung-over and broke after spending all their money on gaming sales and hookers. Cut them some slack. They are no worse than the broke and hung-over garbage collectors that don't show-up on Mondays until about Tuesday.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

The minis game we played on Saturday had hookers. The game actually has rules for them. No joke.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Hookers have no rules. They do however have guidelines they adhere to..... for a price.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Gus, reading your most recent entry just makes me wish CA would make Medieval 3 already.  Dang it! 

Quote from: Gusington on November 27, 2017, 10:51:29 AM
And to think just one page ago mirth's cockles were all the rage.
Quote from: mirth on November 27, 2017, 10:52:55 AM
They still are.
Not sure I want to hear about mirth's raging cockles...  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^Of course you do...don't even try to resist mirth's cockles of rage.

It's just a matter of time until Medieval 3 TW. It might be a few years but it, or some variation of it, is imminent.

Get a copy of Medieval 2 in the meantime and mod it. At 10+ years old it is still really engrossing.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on November 29, 2017, 09:10:47 AM
It's just a matter of time until Medieval 3 TW. It might be a few years but it, or some variation of it, is imminent.
I know, and I'm not really complaining.  I'm actually downright giddy for CA's first "Sagas" title Thrones of Britannia; it will at least partially slake my thirst for a new game set in the period. 

Still, I'd be lying if I said I didn't still desperately yearn for a brand-new Medieval "Eras" title: with the epic Grand Campaign we so love, a wondrously huge map stretching from Dublin to Baghdad, and with all the excellent improvements & refinements CA has added to the series these last few years.  The entire studio seems to have collectively taken a level in badass with the Warhammer games, and I would dearly love to see them give the same treatment to a new historical game set in medieval Europe/Asia/Africa. 

Quote from: Gusington on November 29, 2017, 09:10:47 AM
Get a copy of Medieval 2 in the meantime and mod it. At 10+ years old it is still really engrossing.
My impression of Medieval 2 was that it suffered two of the same problems as Rome 1 (a game everyone here knows I hate with the fire of a thousand suns): brain-dead AI, and far too many siege battles (even compared to the other games in the franchise).  What say you? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

The Stainless Steel mod actually improves the AI. It's not a Clausewitz level braintrust, but it does perform some admirable feats on the campaign map. Not as much tactically, but every now and then it will surprise you there as well.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Nice.  I'm honestly almost tempted to go and pick up Medieval 2 after reading this most recent entry.  (Not for $24.99, though; will wait for it to go on sale.) 

Sir Slash

Very nice write-up Gus. Poland is a tough faction to play, right in the middle of it all. Give yourself extra points for courage to play it.  :clap:

Gusington

^You are too kind. It is tough but a great east/west faction...pulled between the two. I have further got my ass kicked btw, which I will cover in a future write-up. Next week's installment covers a new game :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Just out of curiosity Gus, how do you handle those damned, annoying Papal Inquisitors that wander around all over in this game? Those things are worse than a case of the crabs.  :pullhair:

Gusington

I have a core group of assassins who are highly skilled.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd