CS Middle East: The Crossroads (West Bank, 5 June 1967) -- DAR vs Berto --

Started by Crossroads, December 19, 2015, 12:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

IDF Turn #5

Another turn mostly about maneuvering the formations to their designates routes of advance.

At the left flank, Kafr Dan is indeed garrisoned, by a full Jordanian Coy it seems, with another Coy couple of clicks south of them, in the hills overseeing the valley with the North-South railroad line. After a brief firefight, the Jordanian HMG team is wiped out, with my leading platoon disrupted. I plot artillery there to assist my single Coy in the area to secure the area.

In the middle, the vanguard of 9th Inf Bde has Jenin in their sights. Having read the Scenario Description, it is indeed fully fortified, with trench systems, bunkers and pillboxes galore. Quite a tough nut to crack, with Strength 2 Minefields layed out in front of them. I am not confident my troops have spotted all minefieds yet, there must be more.

Talking about minefields, the 45th Arm'd Bde has just found out the whole eastern most area is indeed thoroughly and heavily mined too. With Strength 3 minefield belts all around, entering any of them would be a suicide. Luckily, it seems Jordanian engineers have been taking it easy, leaving the Rough patches unmined, knowing that no vehicles can enter through them. No vehciles on wheels that is. My fully track Bde then has no options but to try to infiltrate south with the two openings in the minefield. This will slow down them tremendously though. They've also spotted a trench system in the line of their advance. If that trench is manned, then my push is revealed to hostiles. With the spotting rules in place, the fact I can't see anyone there doesn't mean it would not be full of Jordanians armed to their teeth.

I have made a mess with having only one Engineering Coy with me, and allocating one engineering team to Kafr Dan, and two with 9th to middle. One Engineer team is about to hop to halftracks to join the 45th, but it will be several turns before they're there, and then, with one turn for dealing with one Minefield Strength Point each, it will be further three turns before there's an opening there in a solid ground. Oversight in my part. Can't be helped now.

2D Zoom-In View:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

3D Zoom-Out View:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

And that's it. Back to Berto!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

IDF Turn #6

First shots fired, all plans aborted. Situation Normal, All F... etc. Well maybe not quite that bad overall, but the initial plan is not working out nearly as smoothly as I was hoping for.

At the western flank, battle for Kafr Dan is on. The Jordanian Coy is receiving reinforcements, but I guess that is a good thing, those forces are not on their way to Jenin at least. Planning their charge, the fire support team on the right flank is to open on the hostiles there, hopefully calling their Op Fire at a distance. On the left flank, the third platoon there will do the same. Then, the two platoons in the middle will charge the Improved Positions at their front, where the Jordanian troopers have pulled out from due to indirect fire doing its job.

Here we go, LOS hexes highlighted:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

At the end of the day, decided to add the 2nd Platoon to oppressive fire mission as well, leading with just the 1st Platoon. 1:3 odds, exactly as they taught in the Officer School! Or was it the other way around? Where's that dang Field Manual... Regardless, Mortars plotted for the next turn:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

In the middle, the vanguard of 9th Inf Bde exchanges some long distance shots against the Jordanian troops at their positions. I am not nearly ready to assault there yet, so need to gather the forces around for a few more turns...

Meanwhile, the 45th Arm'd Bde has now found out there's no navigating around the strong minefields there. A major bummer to my plans indeed  >:(

The first Jordanian Pattons show their distinctive profile at a distance. They managed to knock off three of my Sherman M-51s off during the enemy turn, while my Op Fire knocked two of them out. Recall I made a note in my previous post of having my armor at place in a massed manner. It is paying off now. During my turn, I knock the other SP3 (as counting the wrecks after my turn) off, so the tally is 3 M51s vs 5 of their Pattons:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

IDF Turn #6 Completed

So here's the revised plan for the next turn then:

45th Arm'd Bde spreads their tanks as a cover while waiting for two Engineer teams enter the area.
9th Inf Bde deploys towards Jenin. Most of the troops are still on transit.

I have now all my units on the map. There was no 93rd Bn/9th Bde, just the two battalions arriving first; 91st and 92nd that is. So no troops available for getting too clever with all types of task forces. Sending a few recon teams on Jeeps to keep an eye on my overall right flank instead.

It will be a good two three turns before I can deploy my engineers to eastern most map edge to open a route through the mine fields there. Quite a lot of time for the Jordanians to deploy their plan of defence. Can't be helped...

I've got 11 air missions available, not gonna use any of them at this stage. I will use them against isolated Pattons later in the game instead.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Plotting the artilllery missions, then over to Berto.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #7 - Kafr Dan

With turn #7, the action starts to build up. Let us see how some of the tactical action went this turn.

At Kafr Dan, the little IDF task force is doing a good job in luring any and all Jordanian units into area it seems. They need to stay alive though, and are obviously in a need of reinforcements so I sent some motorized backup their way in a form of Jeep sections with recoilless rifles together with a M3 meatchopper section.

Here's how it's turning out in the area:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF Turn #7 - Jenin

At Jenin, the elements of the 9th Infantry Brigade start to spread around the Jordanian defences. I still have like one third of the forces closing in, so need a couple of more turns to have the town surrounded from north. In the meanwhile, need to move about to keep of the Jordanian artillery crosshairs!

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

I moved one M51 Coy into open to be spotted by Jordanian forces. I hope this little diversion forces them to not concentrate their tanks on one position, but hopefully as not yet knowing of my intentions they'd split to two equal forces for instance. The less forces facing my 45th the quicker their breakthrough! See next post for some good news on that section.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #7 - 45th Bde flanking move

With two of the three Engineering teams about to arrive into area, my leading M51s spot a mine-free area behind one of the rough patches in the area. It will be slow getting through, but here goes!

I am very vulnerable at the moment, with no Action points for countering fire should the Jordanian Pattons show in force. Let us hope not...

I did send one M51 coy to west of Jenin to show up there in front of the Jordanians, so I am hoping at least some of the Pattons are on their way there.

Here's the view using 2D boardgame view, often practical for studying the terrain:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

And here's the same location with Units OFF, to show the spot I am navigating through their minefields:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

This is getting interesting! Plotted some artillery, then over to Berto.

Crossroads

IDF Turn #7 - AIW Counters Mod

Had a few minutes and added the unit information to counter profiles, for that genuine boardgame view...

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF Turn #8 - Disaster strikes! Or so they tell...

Bling, said the mailbox. At the office of course. Berto's turn:

QuoteRather disastrous for you, turn 7.  Fortune favors Jordan for a change.

Remember the rather risky move from last turn:

Quote from: Crossroads on January 09, 2016, 04:24:29 AM

With two of the three Engineering teams about to arrive into area, my leading M51s spot a mine-free area behind one of the rough patches in the area. It will be slow getting through, but here goes!

I am very vulnerable at the moment, with no Action points for countering fire should the Jordanian Pattons show in force. Let us hope not...

Well not quite! Jordanian forces do repel my 9th Inf Bde push to Jenin, causing some losses on the way. Still, so many trench systems unmanned. I just need to get into them, staying in the murder will be murder:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

Turn #8 - Kafr Dan

Again I considered pulling out from Kafr Dan, again I decided to put up a fight there. It is a diversion after all. Here's hoping it continues to distract Jordanians for a little longer? Also, any and all artillery plotted here is away from the Jenin front.

Plan for the next turn is to take the other Improved Position the Jordanians are holding on to. I still have just the one Coy I sent there, but with the jeep mounted RCLR battery and the one M3 Meatchopper platoon I can perhaps keep them occupied there.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF Turn #8 - The Great Flanking Move

Switching back to 2D view to observe the terrain, I am now through the minefields in force, and this time with all M51 troops with enough Action Points for Op Fire against any hostiles coming their way.

Importantly, the two Engineer teams have now arrived next to mine field. Disembarking will cost them 50 AP, hopefully they can enter the minefield over the gully hex side the same turn as well. Then, two turns to clear the Strength 3 minefield, as each team will clear one strength point per turn.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF Turn #9 - Things Heat Up!

And we go again. Settling into my next turn, I'll start with Kafr Dan action. Turns out the Field Manual said I should have a 3:1 advantage when attacking, not 1:3. Regardless, I managed to even up the score with the RCLR sections, and seems the Jordanians are about to pull out.

Turn #9 sees Kafr Danm secured, with my artillery and fire support teams effectively clearing out the town.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

At the end of the turn, the diversion has ended, with area cleared of hostiles.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

I have no luck clearing out the forward trenches of Jenin though. Despite the artillery barrage and tanks and mortar teams in close support, the Jordanian forces refuse to blink. This will get tough, with the 9th Bde arriving into Jenin on a piecemeal fashion. The 92nd Bn is still a couple of clicks from Jenin, once they're in I can perhaps maneuver into assault positions.

So here's the interim situation then:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

The big question remains what to do with the 45th Arm'd Bde, with most of the tanks now south of Jordanian mine fields? Despite no hostiles spotted, it is highly likely my movement has been observed, and they are reinforcing the area.

So should I move out now, or come next turn?

Crossroads

The big question remains what to do with the 45th Arm'd Bde, with most of the tanks now south of Jordanian mine fields? Despite no hostiles spotted, it is highly likely my movement has been observed, and they are reinforcing the area.

So should I move out now, or come next turn?
[/quote]

When in doubt, attack

And there they are, hiding in their well camouflaged positions! Pattons show up too. Since the plan here is not to move in a piecemeal fashion at all, the tanks rev their engines and head towards the Jordanian forces.

After a brief firefight against the RCLR team I encountered earlier, and the Jordanian tanks, the score evens up: Six Pattons in flames, six Shermans too.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Crossroads

IDF End of Turn #9

Here we are. I am well committed now, with the Mech Infantry of the 45th heading towards the opening in the minefields. As it was my two engineers were not able to move into minefieds as they unloaded, and can only do it come next turn. I am paying a price here for not having been prepared with having Engineers in my mobile force.

Can't be helped, I am spreading out, with some of the tanks encountering the Jordanian forces, while the plan is to move out from the area towards south instead of getting bogged down here.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

How deep are the Jordanian defences towards south? I guess I am about to find out. Time to plot two air strikes to clear the Patton section and the Engineers from the clear terrain.

Victory conditions are not too bad given I am charging his prepared positions. Need to make headway soon though, can't afford to stay put!

Crossroads

IDF Turn #10

With 10 turns out of 45 played, my push towards and beyond Jenin is slowly, ever so slowly making progress, but with a cost.

Starting with some good news, the battle for Kafr Dan is now effectively over, with my Coy Task Force witnessing the last of the Jordanians running to the hills. I fire some parting shots at them, hitting with some, missing with the others.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kafr Dan secured. What are your orders? Mm. Have to think about that. I am sending their trucks for a rendezvous just in case I want to move them off.