Main Menu

Win 10 - Yay or nay

Started by jamus34, December 29, 2016, 09:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Real quick Grogs - I am building my new box and some new hardware does not play nicely with Win 7 (specifically NVMe drives for initial install).

Looks like my choices at this point are to install 7 on HDD and then migrate over or install win 10 on new PC and keep win 7 on the old box (it is going upstairs for the wife and girls to use)

So real quick - Yay or nay on Win 10?
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

We're a lot of help so far :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Grim.Reaper

Yay.....Windows 7 normal support ended in 2015 and extended support to end in 2020.  Might as well take the plunge now.

jamus34

I was about to say.

I guess I can put 7 on and migrate it. If I want / need 10 I can grab another SSD and just throw it on there.

I am already planning on dual booting with Linux (Ubuntu); just trying to figure out what windows release to use. Plus I'll have to drop 7 in 3 years anyway as support will end.

Grim - saw that after I posted. That is true too. In all honesty my wife and girls will probably use the box for mostly web browsing, picture stuff....maybe light gaming. I might try to get them to use Linux for what they will be using it for.

GAhhhhhh...

Grim.Reaper

Just my opinion, but really hasn't been a big deal using Windows 10, although I know some folks don't like some of the features, I start it in the mode (desktop view) where it basically looks and works like the older versions.  Been on it and Windows 8 since they first came out, never had a single issue with my software or games because of it (plus startup time improved and far less windows crashes).

But of course the choice is yours:)

jamus34

I do find it funny that in 10 to get games with certain DRM to run you have to essentially pirate them.

Main one that I still play that comes to mind is The Movies.

Pete Dero

Yes, but only if you really want to play some windows 10 exclusives (halo wars 2, gears of war, ...)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jamus34 on December 29, 2016, 09:36:17 AM
I do find it funny that in 10 to get games with certain DRM to run you have to essentially pirate them.

Main one that I still play that comes to mind is The Movies.

I must have gotten lucky so far with mine, but I don't play really old ones that much either.

Greybriar

The only reason I went with Windows 10 instead of Linux on my new PC was that I knew there would be more games made for Windows 10 than for Linux.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

jamus34

So I ended up going 10...still want to DB linux but was having issues on the install so I will try again later.

Thanks everyone for the input.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 29, 2016, 09:32:22 AM
I start it in the mode (desktop view) where it basically looks and works like the older versions.

Not to derail the thread too much but how do you do that?
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 30, 2016, 08:07:52 AM
I start it in the mode (desktop view) where it basically looks and works like the older versions.

Try this to see if this is what your after.....this allows me to see desktop view.

https://garvis.ca/2015/08/05/what-happened-to-my-start-turning-off-metro-in-windows-10/

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 30, 2016, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: DoctorQuest on December 30, 2016, 08:07:52 AM

Try this to see if this is what your after.....this allows me to see desktop view.

https://garvis.ca/2015/08/05/what-happened-to-my-start-turning-off-metro-in-windows-10/

Thanks, GR, I'll give that a try.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.