IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stryker07

There was some weird stuff going on with the latest update yesterday. Like having the total patch size that's displayed going higher and higher for no apparent reason. I do believe they've gotten it sorted. I just canceled the update, and restarted the client and that did the trick.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

Nefaro

Quote from: Stryker07 on April 19, 2018, 02:46:45 PM
There was some weird stuff going on with the latest update yesterday. Like having the total patch size that's displayed going higher and higher for no apparent reason. I do believe they've gotten it sorted. I just canceled the update, and restarted the client and that did the trick.

There was a patch to the patch in the past day.

Would expect more in the near future.

RyanE

Stryker07

Oh that sweet, sweet, sweet G-14! Don't get me wrong, the Spitfire Mk IX is a sweet ride, and just my type with clipped wings and 18lbs of boost, but that G-14 is a rocket. The primary reason I pre-ordered is the P-38, but now I think the G-14 and K-4 will be seeing a lot of flight time.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog
GG's War in the West
Panzer Corps

MengJiao

Quote from: Stryker07 on June 04, 2018, 05:01:34 PM
Oh that sweet, sweet, sweet G-14! Don't get me wrong, the Spitfire Mk IX is a sweet ride, and just my type with clipped wings and 18lbs of boost, but that G-14 is a rocket. The primary reason I pre-ordered is the P-38, but now I think the G-14 and K-4 will be seeing a lot of flight time.

Battle of Kuban: Ju88A in trouble:

Tuna

Dammit Carl!

Nah.  Ride 'em in and die like a warrior!

I gotta get in on the IL2 tank action at some point...

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 17, 2018, 12:09:42 AM

Spirtfire Vb:

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 17, 2018, 07:52:49 AM
Nah.  Ride 'em in and die like a warrior!

I gotta get in on the IL2 tank action at some point...

The tank action thing seems both inevitable and weird.  How many times have air games evolved some kind of ground action component?  DCS for example.  War thunder for another example and I'm sure there are others.

Dammit Carl!

Fair point - but it would seem (now, I'm saying this without the benefit of playing on IL2 servers and knowing anything about the base) that the sheer scope of IL2 is screaming for honest-to-God combined arms capability.

I enjoy War Thunder for the same sort of reason but I crave more historical accuracy and more realistic maps on which to do this.  The "3 lane / 3 Capture Points," maps that are in rotation are dull and "small," to me in a way.  Won't stop playing it, mind you, but it ain't a shiny penny any more if you know what I mean.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 17, 2018, 08:53:15 AM
Fair point - but it would seem (now, I'm saying this without the benefit of playing on IL2 servers and knowing anything about the base) that the sheer scope of IL2 is screaming for honest-to-God combined arms capability.

I enjoy War Thunder for the same sort of reason but I crave more historical accuracy and more realistic maps on which to do this.  The "3 lane / 3 Capture Points," maps that are in rotation are dull and "small," to me in a way.  Won't stop playing it, mind you, but it ain't a shiny penny any more if you know what I mean.

Same here.  I think a decent IL2 overall battle game could potentially be really great.  For one thing the terrain is real and the planes are pretty real too.  Well have to see about the tanks and trenches and artillery etc.

Destraex

Yeah. I agree. I have a love hate relationship with war thunder. The effects and even the damage model are great. But the systems modelling is shocking as is the tanks you play against and the people playing the game. Although simulator battles are fun in war thunder. They are nothing like a real attack, especially a combined arms one. I would look forward to a ww2 tank simulator. But I would have preferred it in DCS to be honest. Having said that il2 will do nicely if the terrain and the game modes are done well. I don't know if I could stand driving around for an hour and then being popped by some sniper tank who had been camping out... I would want to spawn into an AI tank immediately.

I would have kept up with steel beast but none of my mates got it and the cost of updates and dongle shenanigans sort of sent me in a different direction.

If il2 does AT guns and infantry well with proper combined arms it could be good. But what do we achieve in the end without some sort of ccop campaign mode? Not much of interest I would say!!! I don't care how many tanks are involved.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on July 17, 2018, 08:04:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on July 17, 2018, 12:09:42 AM

Spirtfire Vb:

P40 with some sea:

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Destraex on July 17, 2018, 09:26:14 AM
Yeah. I agree. I have a love hate relationship with war thunder. The effects and even the damage model are great. But the systems modelling is shocking as is the tanks you play against and the people playing the game. Although simulator battles are fun in war thunder. They are nothing like a real attack, especially a combined arms one. I would look forward to a ww2 tank simulator. But I would have preferred it in DCS to be honest. Having said that il2 will do nicely if the terrain and the game modes are done well. I don't know if I could stand driving around for an hour and then being popped by some sniper tank who had been camping out... I would want to spawn into an AI tank immediately.

I would have kept up with steel beast but none of my mates got it and the cost of updates and dongle shenanigans sort of sent me in a different direction.

If il2 does AT guns and infantry well with proper combined arms it could be good. But what do we achieve in the end without some sort of ccop campaign mode? Not much of interest I would say!!! I don't care how many tanks are involved.

Yeah.  Lookin' like ARMA 3 utilizing Zeus and a WW2 mod might be the best bang-for-the-buck right now in terms of having a dedicated group going up against whomever in a PvE sort of way that keeps the interest level for those playing.  It's just that IL2 is so much more prettier.
[Note: Googled this topic after writing this and "The Sherminator," has plenty of such videos covering this kind of thing on his YouTube channel - didn't know that; color me interested].

Skoop

I don't care about the tanks in il2 myself, I just hope the Kursk map that it ships with will be flyable buy all the planes. 

The IF Arma mod surpasses anything that il2 could do ground combat wise.  But getting a playable tiger and a Kursk map will be great.  It kinda of adds more to the eastern front with out having to start up a new dev cycle and doing this while the new west front addition goes on.  We may get to the pacific by this time next year at this pace.