Main Menu

Who do you FRIDAY

Started by MetalDog, January 11, 2019, 06:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

I folded - I got Aggressors: Ancient Rome and Rise of Persia DLC for Field of Glory I (I am still holding the coupon for further developments. ^-^ )

Aggressors isn't a bad game at all.  I'm really impressed with it.  I'm still learning the ropes.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 14, 2019, 01:17:11 PM
I managed an, 'Overwhelming Victory' in TOAW 4's Operation Dragoon. I don't know what constitutes 'overwhelming' vs 'underwhelming' or just plain old regular 'whelming' but I'll take it.  O0
I just wish I could take a screenie of game triumph but the only shot I can get is of the whole theater map.

I'm rapidly becoming a fan of this little gem of a game that's much better than the original I played way back when most of you were still using training wheels. The AI is very good and the system can play anything from Div/Corp level scenarios down to Company/Battalion/Battery level fights. It's got it's quirks, but definitely a Wargamer's wargame.  :bd:

Hmm I knew I should have bought it when it was on sale.

Perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, but I got TOAW 3 when it came out and it seemed to me that the vast majority of scenarios were multiplayer only.  Is that right?  And I assume that's been corrected for TOAW 4?

Not that I'm averse to some sexy PBEM action, I just like to play against the AI too.

Sir Slash

TOAW 4 Lists many scenarios as being 'PBEM' because they are quite large but they usually can be played against the AI without difficulty. Only a few I've seen specifically list a scenario as 'No AI Available' for one side or another. The AI does handle the monster scenarios of which there are many, not as well as the smaller battles with a few divisions or corps per side. And some scenarios with very large naval forces slow down considerably when the ships start going toe to toe, especially during the AI Turn.

The AI is a very capable opponent in this game, as good or better than in the Decisive Campaigns series in my opinion. However, that's if the scenario is designed well by the author in the beginning and here some are a little unbalanced one way or another and some have some oddities included such as H.M.S. Rodney's 16in guns having a range of only one hex while other BB's guns range to 8 hexes, that sort of thing.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Cool, I think it might be my next purchase then.  Thanks very much, Sir Slash!

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.