Main Menu

Building a pit

Started by Jarhead0331, January 10, 2019, 11:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 11, 2019, 07:27:09 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 11, 2019, 06:10:19 AM
Yskonyn, those joystick and throttle holder thingies are your DIY constructions, or can be purchased somewhere?

They are these:
https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/

Great, thanks!

Toonces

'sup fellas.

I'm bumping this thread because my silly wife has scotched any chance of me reassembling my Obutto cockpit in our shared home office.  Sigh.  So, I'm in the position where I "can buy a new desk" and will need to build a new flight sim setup, but still use the desk for work.  My new job requires me to work from home, so the cockpit has to be subordinate to being able to use the desk for work.   Sigh (again).

Question: I've been thinking of using the main part of a table/desk for the work part, and then the part at the head of the desk/table (like 90 degrees from the main part) as the flight sim part.  I could set up two monitors 90 degrees to one another, but I'm wondering if it might be better to go full-in on the VR thing.  That way I'd have the main monitor for work, and the VR headset on the flight sim side of the table.  How well are you VR guys making out with VR for things like Falcon 4/DCS?  For something like War Over Flanders Fields I think VR would work fine; biplanes don't need too much keyboard pressing.  I'm worried about flying and fighting a jet, though, without being able to see a "real" keyboard.

I've never done VR BTW.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on March 01, 2021, 12:04:38 AM
'sup fellas.

I'm bumping this thread because my silly wife has scotched any chance of me reassembling my Obutto cockpit in our shared home office.  Sigh.  So, I'm in the position where I "can buy a new desk" and will need to build a new flight sim setup, but still use the desk for work.  My new job requires me to work from home, so the cockpit has to be subordinate to being able to use the desk for work.   Sigh (again).

Question: I've been thinking of using the main part of a table/desk for the work part, and then the part at the head of the desk/table (like 90 degrees from the main part) as the flight sim part.  I could set up two monitors 90 degrees to one another, but I'm wondering if it might be better to go full-in on the VR thing.  That way I'd have the main monitor for work, and the VR headset on the flight sim side of the table.  How well are you VR guys making out with VR for things like Falcon 4/DCS?  For something like War Over Flanders Fields I think VR would work fine; biplanes don't need too much keyboard pressing.  I'm worried about flying and fighting a jet, though, without being able to see a "real" keyboard.

I've never done VR BTW.

Just for the record, there is no VR in Falcon or WOFF. You'll need to stick with DCS, Flying Circus, IL-2 BOX and a few other supported titles.

As far as keyboards go, you'll map most everything to your HOTAS. As you get more comfortable, you'll start eliminating more keys until eventually you never use it all. I no longer touch my keyboard in DCS. I've eliminated through a combination devices, which you've seen in the pics I posted in the DCS thread. I forgot I had started this one!

I have two desks in my office. One for simming and the other for work and standard gaming. Not sure if you have room in your office (or more than one gaming rig) to accomplish that.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

OK, that's exactly what I needed to know.  A second desk is, unfortunately, not an option.  And, it sounds like dual monitors are the way to go (for now).  I already have two monitors, so that's an easy kill.

I guess a new desk that is mount-friendly is the way to go.  Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, my CH Throttle is glued onto my Obutto side mount and I can't remove it without breaking the controller.  Soooo....I gotta upgrade my HOTAS.  So the good news is that I can kind of build all this setup from scratch, do it once and do it right.  I've had my current HOTAS rig for at least 15 years, so I feel like I got my money's worth out of it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jamus34

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Toonces but Monstertech also makes chair mountable Hotas rigs. They seem pretty customizable too. So you could arguably buy a new gaming chair, install all your stuff, including a USB hub if necessary, and just wheel it over and plug in when you want to fly.

I have a dxracer chair that I no longer use as a primary as I found from working fully remote it is too hard / not supportive enough on the posterior for 40+ hours at a time but it's fine for 2 -3 hour sessions. I plan to pick up monstertech gear and get to modding when the VKB throttle is finally available and I have some extra scratch.

Just throwing this out there as an option versus a whole new rig and or desk.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Good idea Jamus...I agree that mounting to the chair may be a more cost effective and simpler option in the short term.

Speaking of costs, it's apparently a really bad time to be in the HOTAS market. Supply is very low and demand is very high. Prices of the more popular brands, like the warthog have skyrocketed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Could always go nuts with PVC piping; seen more than one rig (albeit for auto racing) crafted from stuff like that.

Skoop

I have the monster tech chair mounts and they work great, just a little pricey.

Hot lead and dirty talk!

If you are going to abbreviate it, why not be honest and say you are building a cock?
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

Hot lead and dirty talk!

Next, people will be asking to see pictures of your cock.

Ohhh, look at that cock! It's unbelievable!

They will all come to this thread and bow down and worship JH's cock.

Some may even begin to post pictures of their owns cocks.
Jesus saves! But Gretzky scores on the rebound!

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Dammit Carl!

Lol, that took a bit of a turn.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Hot lead and dirty talk! on March 01, 2021, 02:47:01 PM
Next, people will be asking to see pictures of your cock.

Ohhh, look at that cock! It's unbelievable!

They will all come to this thread and bow down and worship JH's cock.

Some may even begin to post pictures of their owns cocks.

Is this supposed to be humor, or is there something you are trying to get off of your chest?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

You know, the chair option might be the way to go the more I think on this.

Skoop

They work great from an ergonomic standpoint toonces.  Plus there's pads you can add for your mouse to be right next to the stick.

You can also get the desk mounts from monster tech from an Amazon reseller which is great from a logistical stand point.