GOG.com - Close Combat Series

Started by CJReich46, February 06, 2018, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

GOG.com has got their mitts on The Close Combat Series!
https://www.gog.com/news/release_close_combat_series
A Bridge Too Far
Russian Front
Battle of the Bulge

and even has Gateway to Caen and Panthers in the Fog

Prices are pretty decent as they are on sale as well. :)
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

acctingman

glen55

Supposedly compatible in Windows 7, 8 & 10 so anybody who tries them please let us know.

Great games, but I have always used one of these games - Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far - as an example of how not to end a game. (I use KOTOR as the example of how TO end a game, with the hero and other characters being feted with speeches about their great deeds in a very well-done scene.)

While I loved the game, CC:ABTF is a brutally difficult game that, no two ways about it, is going to require lots of save and reloads if you are going to make it all the way through. It is rarely easy, and as the campaign goes on it gets harder and harder, with a back-breaking final mission. It's a damned long campaign, too, so to recap: many, many hours of very difficult scenarios if you are to get the full victory as the Allies in the campaign, but I stuck with it to the end, no telling how many reloads, even as it passed beyond "fun" into "grueling task" over the last couple of scenarios.

At the end, when you complete the final victory condition in the final scenario, a little box that says "game over" pops up for about 2 seconds and then you are immediately dumped back to the start screen without a save.

:tickedoff:  :knuppel2:  :buck2:
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Destraex

No close combat 1 :( ?
Believe it or not. I really enjoyed close combat 1 back in high school. The sounds especially were some of the best I had ever heard.

Where the hell is the new 3D  version anyway?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on February 06, 2018, 05:16:26 PM
No close combat 1 :( ?
Believe it or not. I really enjoyed close combat 1 back in high school. The sounds especially were some of the best I had ever heard.

Where the hell is the new 3D  version anyway?

No CC 1 or 5. Apparently, GoG had trouble with the coding and could not make them win 7, 8 and 10 compatible. They are supposedly working on them though and will release in the future.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

Weird. They have some of the newer releases, like Panthers in the Fog and Gateway to Caen, but... I guess they can't really provide the updated Matrix'd versions of ABTF (i.e. Last Stand Arnhem) and TRF (i.e. Cross of Iron).

What's throwing me I suppose, is that PantherFog is an update of Wach Am Rhein, but apparently not a Matrix remake-update.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Bridge too far still has the best campaign in my books.

Jarhead0331

I tinkered with A Bridge Too Far last night. Its certainly still enjoyable, but of course, it has definitely lost some of the magic...and at 1024x768 on a 42" 4k monitor, it looks pretty rough.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 07, 2018, 10:22:39 AM
I tinkered with A Bridge Too Far last night. Its certainly still enjoyable, but of course, it has definitely lost some of the magic...and at 1024x768 on a 42" 4k monitor, it looks pretty rough.

I didn't pull the trigger for exactly this reason. Mine's 27" but I figure it would be stretched a bit. Still I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

I don't think I played CC2 but it sounds interesting.

Sir Slash

These game were quite the click-fest back in the day. Are they improved any since then?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2018, 11:28:31 AM
These game were quite the click-fest back in the day. Are they improved any since then?

Click-fest? Really? I never thought that at all. The game was very reasonably paced with units taking considerable time to carry out their orders, particularly if stressed, suppressed, panicking or suffering from exhaustion or low morale. I actually think at the time, these games were the antithesis of the traditional RTS "click-fest".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Greybriar

Quote from: jomni on February 06, 2018, 07:40:28 PM
Bridge too far still has the best campaign in my books.

I agree, at least of the games in the series I played. What I find amazing about it is that the Close Combat series began over 20 years ago! I played a lot of the early Close Combat games (I & II) and later purchased III & IV, but never got around to playing them much.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

DennisS

Shoot...as much as I liked these, I would rather have some old QQP games. Conquered Kingdoms, The Lost Admiral, and the Perfect General.

Greybriar

Quote from: DennisS on February 07, 2018, 11:48:51 AM
Shoot...as much as I liked these, I would rather have some old QQP games. Conquered Kingdoms, The Lost Admiral, and the Perfect General.

I agree with you 100%! O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 07, 2018, 11:28:31 AM

No, they're just the same pausible-order real-time wego that they've always been. ;)

(Maybe multiplayer is more clickfesty? -- I never played that so I don't know if players can pause the action for orders.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!