Age of Empires Definitive Edition announced!

Started by AchillesLastStand, June 12, 2017, 11:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money?

Compared to almost-no-work, any profit is worth it.

When I realized Cos3 wasn't going to update the original engine in any substantial way, I went back to play Cos1 for a couple of afternoons to remind myself why I never bothered with the series.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

vyshka

Just for comparison 30-day averages from Steamcharts:

Ashes of Singularity121.8
Grey Goo24.4
Dawn of War III 1,521.2
Dawn of War II - Retribution344.0
Company of Heroes 24,137.2
Company of Heroes1,915.4
Age of Empires 2: HD6,318.7
Age of Empires 31,269.0
Age of Mythology: EE793.0
Rise of Nations: EE451.9
Halo War - DE184.1
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance414.2
Supreme Commander 2293.0
Planetary Annihilation: Titans226.4
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak36.4
Homeworld: Remastered167.1
Offworld Trading Company129
Star Wars: Empire at War691.9

Plus there are folks who play the original Age games on Voobly. Don't know if there are folks playing the original RoN somewhere else. I think the popularity of
AoE:DE will depend on what exactly the improvements are because it is a step back from AoE2 which seems to have the best legs of the older games outside of the original
Starcraft. When Starcraft: Remastered gets released this summer it will swamp the numbers of any other rts possibly including Starcraft 2. I wish MS had put the money
into remastering AoE2 that Blizzard is putting into Starcraft, or that they would have had the same work done for it that is being done to AoE. It is okay to play, but a fresh
coat of paint would have been nice.

Edit: Added some more games that I remembered to the table. I don't know what the answer is for rts makers, but people seem to play the older games more than the more recent releases.
I think a lot of the players have moved on to the moba games. Supposedly there will be an announcement about a new Age game at gamescon, so we'll see. There are some other games,
like the Eugen stuff that could possibly go on the list, but they don't have base building. Red Dragon averages just under 700 a day, and Steel Division is just under 1400.

Rayfer

Quote from: vyshka on June 14, 2017, 10:25:42 PM
Just for comparison 30-day averages from Steamcharts:

Ashes of Singularity121.8
Grey Goo24.4
Dawn of War III 1,521.2
Dawn of War II - Retribution344.0
Company of Heroes 24,137.2
Company of Heroes1,915.4
Age of Empires 2: HD6,318.7
Age of Empires 31,269.0
Age of Mythology: EE793.0
Rise of Nations: EE451.9
Halo War - DE184.1
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance414.2
Supreme Commander 2293.0
Planetary Annihilation: Titans226.4
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak36.4
Homeworld: Remastered167.1
Offworld Trading Company129
Star Wars: Empire at War691.9

Plus there are folks who play the original Age games on Voobly. Don't know if there are folks playing the original RoN somewhere else. I think the popularity of
AoE:DE will depend on what exactly the improvements are because it is a step back from AoE2 which seems to have the best legs of the older games outside of the original
Starcraft. When Starcraft: Remastered gets released this summer it will swamp the numbers of any other rts possibly including Starcraft 2. I wish MS had put the money
into remastering AoE2 that Blizzard is putting into Starcraft, or that they would have had the same work done for it that is being done to AoE. It is okay to play, but a fresh
coat of paint would have been nice.

Edit: Added some more games that I remembered to the table. I don't know what the answer is for rts makers, but people seem to play the older games more than the more recent releases.
I think a lot of the players have moved on to the moba games. Supposedly there will be an announcement about a new Age game at gamescon, so we'll see. There are some other games,
like the Eugen stuff that could possibly go on the list, but they don't have base building. Red Dragon averages just under 700 a day, and Steel Division is just under 1400.

What are these numbers measuring? 

vyshka

It is the daily average number of players for the game over 30 days on Steam. It just gives an idea of the popularity of the games. As a comparison in the
top 10 games on Steam you have Football Manager 2017 with about 38k players a day, and the top is Dota 2 with 500k+ a day.

Rayfer

Quote from: vyshka on June 15, 2017, 11:59:21 AM
It is the daily average number of players for the game over 30 days on Steam. It just gives an idea of the popularity of the games. As a comparison in the
top 10 games on Steam you have Football Manager 2017 with about 38k players a day, and the top is Dota 2 with 500k+ a day.

Thanks.  At first I thought it had to do with number of hours played but couldn't make sense of it.

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Will this only be released and available through Microsoft store app?  Not a big fan of that if that is the case.

Destraex

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 14, 2017, 10:26:47 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 13, 2017, 08:58:56 AM
Is Cossacks 3 really making that much money?

Compared to almost-no-work, any profit is worth it.

When I realized Cos3 wasn't going to update the original engine in any substantial way, I went back to play Cos1 for a couple of afternoons to remind myself why I never bothered with the series.

Used to love Cossacks. Cossacks2 especially was an entirely different and very interesting game, albeit a bit buggy.
I enjoy a spot of cossacks 3 from time to time. I mainly just like watch the men walk around and relaxing while they do the work. To watch the grand formations of my armies drill. I love that officers and musicians are needed to use formations and that it makes "age of empires" combat gameplay seem simplistic by comparison.
I think if you call cossacks3 soul less spam then age of empires will be instead be a lonely 12 man army. It always felt like I was playing with a small scale hollywood movie town where I could only afford 10 figures to go in my toy town.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 16, 2018, 04:55:13 PM
Will this only be released and available through Microsoft store app?  Not a big fan of that if that is the case.

Last time I tried to get a free game through the store for my PC it linked all of my hotmail calendar and everything else to win10. beware as it is a pain in the ass to undo.
This is the same microsoft store that on win10 (or was it 8) release tried to deny steam and promote the MS store with that tile denial BS before the start menu went back in.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"