Feedback on the Zombie Apocalypse Series

Started by bayonetbrant, July 03, 2015, 05:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The first in the series is out today on the Mythical Front Page™.  More to come.  Discuss amongst yourselves...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jonathan Glazer

Come on.  No feedback?  No one thinks my blog is a pile of hot garbage?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jonathan Glazer on July 18, 2015, 09:44:02 PM
Come on.  No feedback?  No one thinks my blog is a pile of hot garbage?

it's about 50-50 or worse that you're going to get much feedback on any given article around here.  We've got a whole series every Monday for GameTalk and maybe 20% actually get comments...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Arctic Blast

I like them both so far. I would say forget the guns entirely and get reasonably quick with some kind of an edged weapon with a long blade. No more worrying about ammo.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 19, 2015, 12:08:32 AM
I like them both so far. I would say forget the guns entirely and get reasonably quick with some kind of an edged weapon with a long blade. No more worrying about ammo.

Maybe for the slow-shuffler type Zed. For the crazy-fast type distance is your friend. A mix of both types of weapons would be best, saving bullets for only when needed. One thing that might be worth considering is a homemade hand cannon. You could use black powder or some kind of home-brew explosive propellent and chunks of metal debris for shrapnel. It would be a one-shot weapon but could be used to dispatch single zeds when there is time to reload in between encounters.

One thing I have not heard about (although I'm not well-read on the subject of zombies) is whether they still use their eyes to find prey or if they have some kind of virus-granted whole body sensing mechanism. If eyes are still important then using some kind of pressured dispenser (think high-power Super Soaker) to deliver blinding caustic chemicals onto the face could be a good first step before trying to dispatch the Zed with melee weapons or even just to be able to run a ways and hide.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Haven't read it yet, but will. It will mean finding that Front Page though.  ;D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Cahn't get theah from heah.

( a Front Page link button would go nicely next to the forum home button  ;))

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Jonathan Glazer

I address edged weapons in an upcoming installment.mmyour point is a good one, but it is hard to completely dispense with the long range advantage, accuracy and portability of firearms.  Depending on the gun and acaliber, you can be highly mobile and still carry a lot of ammo.  Keep in mind that the Zeds are just one target.  You will need firearms to deal with the other humans who will be trying to take your stuff. 
Putting aside the possibility of reloading, at some point you will run out of ammo.  But while you have it, nothing outruns a bullet.

Jonathan Glazer

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 19, 2015, 09:56:06 AM

Maybe for the slow-shuffler type Zed. For the crazy-fast type distance is your friend. A mix of both types of weapons would be best, saving bullets for only when needed. One thing that might be worth considering is a homemade hand cannon. You could use black powder or some kind of home-brew explosive propellent and chunks of metal debris for shrapnel. It would be a one-shot weapon but could be used to dispatch single zeds when there is time to reload in between encounters.

One thing I have not heard about (although I'm not well-read on the subject of zombies) is whether they still use their eyes to find prey or if they have some kind of virus-granted whole body sensing mechanism. If eyes are still important then using some kind of pressured dispenser (think high-power Super Soaker) to deliver blinding caustic chemicals onto the face could be a good first step before trying to dispatch the Zed with melee weapons or even just to be able to run a ways and hide.

The black powder cannon is an interesting idea, however it will be slow to reload.  Zeds travel in packs, so time will not be your friend. 
Zeds use sight, smell and hearing to find food (U.S.), so blinding them may slow them down somewhat, but it won't count them out of the game.

Staggerwing

Just out of curiosity, why don't the Zeds just attack each other? The fresh ones must have as high a nutrient value as us conventionally-animated individuals, no?

Jonathan Glazer

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 19, 2015, 09:11:17 PM
Just out of curiosity, why don't the Zeds just attack each other? The fresh ones must have as high a nutrient value as us conventionally-animated individuals, no?

They are drawn by smell to living beings or freshly dead corpses.  Once a person turns and is now one of the undead, the smell they give off is unappealing to another Zombie.  Good question, though.

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jonathan Glazer on July 19, 2015, 09:48:38 PM

They are drawn by smell to living beings or freshly dead corpses.  Once a person turns and is now one of the undead, the smell they give off is unappealing to another Zombie.  Good question, though.

Maybe some kind of 'Eau d' People' aerosol could formulated to spray over an advancing hoard and induce a temporary fratricidal feeding frenzy. During the Taste Testing confusion folks could get away.

Jonathan Glazer

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 28, 2015, 06:27:06 PM
Quote from: Jonathan Glazer on July 19, 2015, 09:48:38 PM

Maybe some kind of 'Eau d' People' aerosol could formulated to spray over an advancing hoard and induce a temporary fratricidal feeding frenzy. During the Taste Testing confusion folks could get away.

I like the idea.  But it implies a large amount of research and testing in a post apocalyptic dystopian time when power and technology will be almost non existent. 

Staggerwing

That's why we have to start research now, while we still can, and have as many formulas ready as possible so that as soon as the first Zed mobs are sighted we can start field trials. We could use drones to deliver the samples and see which ones show promise.